Jockey Journal Forum banner

If you ever have the chance to see an original Denver's bike...

1M views 2K replies 355 participants last post by  2Loose 
#1 · (Edited)
go out of your way to do it.

I'd heard my machinist has one, but could never seem to mesh our schedules. Today I finally saw the bike when picking up my trans. and Holy cow! I've seen lots of neat show bikes w/ tons of fabrication, lots of chrome, etc., but this thing was something else.

What catches your eye first is obviously the 25 over springer. We're talking 10 and one half feet of bike here folks. But there's so much more. Every tube on the frame was peaked and molded. The tank was custom made and quite unbelievable. It was larger than the Wassels and such people go out of their way for these days and probably held five gallons, but you wouldn't know it due to the perfect proportions. It just blended in so well! Each mount, bracket, and anywhere a bolt went through the frame was molded. The flow was hard to describe. And that springer...beautiful. Simple too.

So this is all sounding super 70's, way over-molded, and in general, just overdone, right? No, not at all. All this work was subtle and perfect. Granted, it was no understated bobber, but it wasn't the overchromed, too much of everything mess you're envisioning. It was...tasteful, but in a waaaay far out way. How is that possible? To be honest, I'm not sure. I've seen 70's show bikes before and was overwhelmed (which is never good). Think early Arlen Ness bikes; neat, but too complicated.

I can only say that the late Denver Mullins and Mondo really were working on a different level. You hear the stories...well, believe them. Artists.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I had no idea I'd be seeing it today. Hopefully next time I'm out I can snap a few.

See less See more
#190 ·
SoulCrusher thanks for the kind words, Our collection is not just for us,It is for every one. In the last 2 months we have had tourists from England,France,Italy take pictures with us & our bikes. Don't be suprised to see more countries come aboard The Jockey Journal.
DeeBee you are right,we have been doing bikes & cars for quite awhile now, watching show cars & bikes go from bitchen featured vehicles to pieces of crap that the new owner thought was just to cool. Most don't know the significance of pieces of history. It is only original once. They can be brought back a second time to as close to original as possible, which is what we are doing. It seems that every one on this thread understands this. Thank you all.

#191 ·
This is by far the coolest thread I've read on JJ! keep it coming... keep it going... Denver was a legend in California while I was growing up there. I have old Hot Bikes magazines from the early 80's- I'll go home and go through them and will scan all the Denver's bike's I can find. Awesome stuff and thanks a million to Denversdaughter- we all love hearing about your dad first hand- please keep posting!:)

#194 ·
Tan-Dawg what part of California were you in in the 80's? I was in the San Gabriel & Pomona Valley at that time. We may have crossed paths way back then. 63CadGuy just keep watching there is so much more coming it will knock everyones socks off. Now what kind of 63 Caddy are you sportin'?:cool::cool:

#200 ·
I left in the late 70's... but was back often in the 80's- mostly Lakewood area. I was a Navy brat so we lived all over, San Diego (Born there) Long Beach, Alameda, Lemoore- down in the valley- that is where I saw or remember seeing a chopper for the first time. I remember every single detail of that bike and have been hooked ever since... I was about 8 or 9 then! Used to see the Hells Angels rolling up and down I-5 frequently too- it was a pretty awesome sight! Growing up in California during that period has had a life long influence on me.

#195 · (Edited)
Looking at Kayjohns picture with Freddie are the infamous?;) Denvers1 to his right,Denvers2 behind & Denvers 3 to his left. And HOG HEAVEN for some of the best Bar-B-Que you could ever ask for. Just ask the people that have had it. And pretty kool motorcycle enthusiasts & popcorn poppers. Check them out if you ever see them. You won't be disappointed. No we don't have anything to do with HOG HEAVEN other than knowing the owners & eating their wonderful offerings.
This picture was in THE HORSE BACKSTREET CHOPPERS #47 January 2005 with a very well done article about Freddie @ Freds Frames. 909-875-1523. This is the correct phone number.

#204 ·
dannyf thats a cool angle on the second shot.
63cadguy you might like this first pic.

Here is Denvers #5. We picked this one from Mel Skaggs in Fontana Ca, back in Nov.2005. We were told it was built around 1976.My boss's son bought it first. I had Jim's and Ken's bikes apart by then and wasn't expecting to tear into this one for a while. I was a runner needing only minor repairs. But Scott was ready to go so apart it came.

Denvers#5 coming apart.

Denvers#5 all apart.

As I start sanding the black spray can job I found this.

#206 ·
When we picked up Denver#3 from Lil Louies we dropped off Denvers#5. Lil Louie told us he remembers doing only three blue bikes with the bump in the pin stripe. The base is silver lacquer with blue candy. It faded from a darker blue on the neck to a lighter blue and back to the dark blue at the axle plates. The tank had been completly striped at one time so I had no idea what it looked like. I did some panels in a reverse fade. Lil Louie thought I was close to the original.
This shot is after the clear was shot before polishing.

Going back together.

Some close up pics.

#209 ·
56 Cad Eldorado with a 2 1/4 section taken out of the center utilizing all the factory side chrome, 2 in taken out of the hood, hood tilts forward,rear wings raised 1 1/2 in at the ends 67 Buick Wild Cat roof with all the factory Buick glass used. Total roof to rocker change was 10 1/2 in.

#216 ·
I got an email from her last night. Said she tried to get on J.J. with her Mom's Comp. and it wouldn't let her.
Lynda also said her comp is a good one just needs some updates and another scaner.They are working on it.

Dannyf The pic of the Kaw. Is it in street chopper mag and ifso what mo.and year? Thanks for helping keep it alive. Tried to upload some pics last night to Photobucket. Took for ever,ended up canceling trans. Dial up is a pain.

#218 ·
Dannyf The pic of the Kaw. Is it in street chopper mag and ifso what mo.and year? Thanks for helping keep it alive.
Kayjohn, it was Iron Horse October '81..here's a pic from the cover..always makes it easier..!
Let me know if you want the full article..I can scan it tomorrow..

Attachments

#219 ·
Thanks dannyf. Before I post denvers#6 .( Also want to take some better pictures.) For now I'll give you some pics of other Denvers that we know about.
This one was in street chopper mag in July 81 It is now owned by Butch Araiza. He is redoing some of the chrome and we need to get over to check the paint out. Hoping to do some spot repairs and reclear it if posable ( someday) It's a Kawasaki 900.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.