Jockey Journal Forum banner

whats the best way to clean a rusty tank?

38K views 27 replies 27 participants last post by  HurricaneX75rider 
#1 ·
my sporty tank is pretty rusty inside, and i dont want to cut it up.....at least not just yet. what's the best and easiest way to clean that rust out?

#8 ·
grail21 said:
Por15 - I've heard nothing but good things about it and plan on using it on a tank I've got.

hmm. i've used por15 for my floor board on my 66 plymouth, but never thought about using it for a tank. hmm. does it work good inside a tank? that could save me some cash. i have a shit load of that stuff laying around.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I like the muatic acid, but I was going to say..I've been told that you have to be really careful with the sealer because if it does not cover 100% of the inside of the tank, it will flake away in your tank. I've just used muratic acid and then kept gas in the tank at all times so it doesn't rust. and don't let it sit, you have to keep riding or it will rust again quickly. I've cleaned about four tanks and I finally came to my sences. Don't buy a kit for 30 dollars, just log onto flyritechoppers.com and buy a new sporty tank for like ..80 bucks.

On one tank I did, I used muratic acid on it and the flakes from the sealer started comming loose. It seemed impossible to clean, so I junked the tank.

#13 ·
On another board I use a guy showed pics of using a box of BB's. First he took off the petcock and taped the opening closed, used an old gas cap and poured in about half a box (small milk carton size). Wrapped the tank in a big comforter, then stuffed it in the ol lady's drier. He packed blankets around the tank so it would not move, then turned the drier on with NO HEAT. Let it run while he had a cpl of beers and the damn thing came out like new. Pretty fucking niffty. No solvents, no standing there shaking it till your arms fall of. And you still have amo for the rats donwn at the dump.

#17 ·
a cheap ass such as myself will try damn near anything once, molasses ,the works, bolts, but I know only from personal use the acid trick works on rusty steel ,also there is a gas tank lining sealer called creem,napa auto stores used to carry it ,great shit ,chheap holds up good,but be sure to follow instructions and make sure you dont seal off your petcock fitting,Dr.Frankensickle

#19 ·
I used vinegar and the POR 15 tank sealer. vinegar is just weak acid so it's the same as any other acid method, just takes longer and is easier on the skin.

Just make damn sure before you seal the tank that the interior is 100% dry. Any moisture will ruin the adhesion and it will gum up everything.

#21 ·
I have used phospheric acid, available at Home Depot, with great results and absolutely no harm to paint. The acid will disolve the existing rust and leave a rust resistant "etch" on the inside of the tank. Expanding on the directions on the bottle: Pour the bottle of acid full strength into the tank and fill the rest of the tank with water (up to 2 gallons water with 1 quart of acid). The severity of the rust will determine the "soak" time. Usually overnight is sufficiant. Don't worry, you will not oversoak and damage the metal but you want to soak long enough to disolve the rust. I pour the dilluted acid into gallon milk jugs to save for later use. Allow the tank to air dry. The rusted areas will turn black and the rest of the surface will look chalky white. If the black areas are scaley, I will drop in a small handful of steel washers and agitate to break it loose. Remove the washers (magnet) and blow the dust out with compressed air. I do a final water rinse to neutralize the acid and flush out any remaining trash. I prefer to force dry the tank (air nozzle) to be sure that all the water is removed.
I have used this method many times and the most difficult part is being patient while the acid does it's job. I have done severely rusted tanks that required the acid full strength and I would rotate the tank every couple of hours for several days. Once the scale is removed and the tanks are water rinsed and dried, the the tanks can be put in service.
I pressure test tanks that were severely rusted because of the possibility of pin holes. If neccessary, repair & seal (another catagory)

#22 ·
I would go over all the welds,mounts, tank tabs etc. to make sure they are sturdy and mig or tig any that are shaky. Next Fit your tank to the frame. Shim a gap with a washer or spacer , Never try to draw a gap closed by overtightening a bolt and nut. Send it to North Cintry radiator in Queensbury, NY. ph# 800-244-1788 for their RENU gas tank sealing service. It last Forever as long as you don't apply heat to the tank. We send all our Taiwanese/aftermarket tanks to them before installing them. I haven't had one leak yet.

#23 · (Edited)
I went to a "Triumph" friends house in KY to visit one day and buy some parts
I saw something strange in his back yard
His RIDING MOWER was on jack stands RUNNING!!! in low gear
attatched to the wheel with bungee cords was a Gas Tank slowly spinning
I asked "What you doing?
"Cleaning my tank" he said
"with sharp gravel inside"
I had to look inside
WOW!!!
No rust
kinda of a "*******" way to do it
But it sure works!!

#25 ·
I'm with Le Cisne. Electrolysis is the way to go. A battery charger, baking powder and stainless steel in a plastic shop vac can will take it off. Not really paint friendly, but Great for rusted parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.