Jockey Journal Forum banner

Rider Down

7K views 47 replies 42 participants last post by  Donson 
#1 ·
All - my brother, Chris Giles (aka "Moped" here on JJ), was in a serious motorcycle accident at the end of May down in San Antonio, Texas. A girl heading the opposite direction turned left in front of him about a block away from his apartment complex.

I'm finally getting around to letting folks know about the accident and posting info here about his progress, etc.:

http://www.chrisgiles.org/

I remember the Jockey Journal coming up in conversation about motos all the time, so figured I'd post something here under his account to let y'all know.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Robert Giles
(Chris's brother)

#3 ·
Dammit.....yes he was a big part of stuff around here...

Since you have "just transitioned away from Facebook" to this blog, what about a general-synopsis post, for those of us who dont "do" facebook...?

Like backstory - basics, overall injuries, prospects....scary enough talking about nursing homes, can ya just fill us in a little ?

And do tell him we're all thinking about and pulling for him.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#16 ·
Dammit.....yes he was a big part of stuff around here...

Since you have "just transitioned away from Facebook" to this blog, what about a general-synopsis post, for those of us who dont "do" facebook...?

Like backstory - basics, overall injuries, prospects....scary enough talking about nursing homes, can ya just fill us in a little ?

And do tell him we're all thinking about and pulling for him.
Dragon - kind of a summary here:

http://www.chrisgiles.org/blog/about/

The collision wasn't what I'd call fast, ~ 32mph, wearing a helmet, etc. He broke his wrists, but those are basically repaired at this point. Besides the brain injury, not much else on his body beyond some scrapes and cuts that have healed. He hit the car face-first, on the chin bar of his helmet.

Chris suffered this type of brain injury:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_axonal_injury

(along with some brain bleeds, which are amazingly devastating, too)

The neurologists are just guessing, and will readily admit that. Their worst-case prognosis of permanent vegetative state has already been exceeded, for example.

I'll definitely check in here and keep y'all updated... things may become pretty busy, because the hospital is jerking us around, trying to boot Chris out.

#11 ·
Robert, Ive had a couple friends at different points in life in similar health as your brother, both have eventually gotten back to being independent & surpassed all expectations of what was forecast for them by a longshot.

People with strong will can do amazing things.

Hang in there, & please do stop by here once in a while. The page you have put up is really a great idea.

Thank you.

#12 ·
Get him well, we need all the help over here that we can get. Smart asses are hard to come by these days.

#17 ·
I hope he heals fast and is back up on two wheels and here soon. Oh damn, I just read the definition for the type of injury he has. Now I really don't know what to say. I hope and pray that he is able to recover from this. He is way too young for this kind of devastation.

#18 ·
Yeah man, and the stronger and more committed the friends and family the more likely the positive outcome. Hang tough brother. Thats what brothers do.

Small donation coming your way. Good job on the page too.

Cheers

#26 ·
Update is long overdue on this thread, apologies (this is Chris's brother, Robert - just borrowing Chris's account to post here again).

Chris was booted out of the rehab hospital at the end of November. It was ugly, between the hospital, his health insurance company, the doctors, the state department of insurance, the state rehabilitative services program... we're now at a nursing home within walking distance to my apartment up in north Austin.

My folks managed to find a reasonable place for outpatient therapy, so we just started doing that about a week or two ago. Other than this recent therapy, Chris hadn't had any professional therapy since the "rehab" hospital discontinued it back in October due to insurance issues. Obviously, we can copy some of what the "professional" therapists do, and have been doing as much as we can for Chris since October, but it's nice to have professionals working with him again.

The local newspaper, the Austin American-Statesman, did a nice story about Chris that ran on Sunday, January 2nd:

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas...uts-keep-brain-injured-texan-out-1157689.html

My dad and I are also still posting updates here and there on the blog:

http://www.chrisgiles.org/

Chris still has a really long road ahead, that's all I can say. Thanks for the kind words and the donations, y'all, and have a safe and happy new year.

Robert

#27 ·
Good on you Robert. I would visit if I were closer, Sounds like his community has his back as well as his family, no man can ask for more. Maybe in ten years, he will be able to look back with you and giggle about the hurdles that life threw in your way.

Champions are defined by the obstacles they overcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.