Jockey Journal Forum banner

Little surprise in a Triumph motor today....street tracker build

Tags
bad ass
43K views 131 replies 77 participants last post by  hooks2u 
#1 · (Edited)
Completed mockup pics of this rig are on the last page.

So I'm building this sorta large budget street tracker deal for a guy...Trackmaster frame, etc etc. The frame had a motor in it when he bought it, bout a '67 or so, with a Morgo 750 barrel on it. The guy that my client bought it from said it was a pretty mild motor that he was going to use on the street.

That guy is a damn liar. :D

I pulled the exhaust off today. At the other end of the ports (which are pretty large-ish) were the largest exhaust valves I have EVER seen in a Triumph motor. One of them happened to be all the way open too, and I promise it was far enough off the seat to stick a finger into. Big, BIG lift. Pulled off the rocker covers and discovered lightened, polished and shimmed rockers, with aluminum nuts locking the adjusters.

So then we decided to unscrew the intake manifolds because it was easier than unbolting the carbs. The carbs, by the way have "250 main" written on the top of them hahaha. What we found was that the carb bodies and manifolds have been concentric bored as a unit. Dead smooth from one end to the other. And the intake valves are in taper cut guides, and the heads on those valves are probably 1.75"...so big you can see where they rewelded the ports to put the big seats in.

So then we pulled the timing cover, where we found the following:

Those ain't just drilled kids. They're also thinned, beveled and the centers have been thinned as well. The inside edges of the dish area has even been turned out on a taper. Oh, and they're fully polished. Like even out in the actual gear teeth.

Looking through the hole in the case, I can see that it has some sort of steel H beam rods, probably Carillos based on the bolts in them. The flywheel is well, mostly machined clear off haha. The counterweights have been drilled and have Mallory metal welded in....and that's just the stuff I can see through that little hole.

Oh, and it's been converted to a 5 speed. It's full on silly.

I am giddy like a school girl. In a 250 lb Trackmaster, this ought to be a whale of a motor. I will FULLY document the rebuild as well as the rest of the project, can't wait to get inside the motor and see what's there. Just had to share, this shit was better than Christmas and it's not even mine.

See less See more
#63 ·
RE: skinners post # 49. I wasn't aware a steep rake would make the forks slap like that at high speeds. What is the rake on that? Just eyeballin' it, it looks about 28 degrees or is it more like 26-27? I never did any sanctioned racing, just a little on local outlaw tracks so I don't know much about that kinda' stuff. There's a couple old-timers in my area who say they used to tighten up the rake when they bobbed bikes so they'd corner better and they didn't say anything about tank-slappers, 'course I didn't ask either. Just lookin' for info here 'cause I'm thinkin' about tightening up the rake on one of my Evos. BTW, what's a stock Triumph--about 29-30?

Whack.

#68 ·
And what're Arces trees?
I was told by an old flat tracker that they are really early ceriani. I guess the company either changed names, or they were assumed by Ceriani? I have a set on my Honda tracker. Kinda funny, the front end is worth more than my whole bike.

-A.

#73 ·
I forget what that rake was on my tracker sold that bike frame in 85 first kid, one that got away used motor on street moved away for a while keeped it at a [friends] house came back two years later and promised to dig it out but never has that and old drag frame still in his crawl space for last 30 yrs cant seem to get my hands on it I changed rear wheel to 18 from 19 changed tires changed front forks struts from shocks whiced change rake a bit took to frame shop to chk for straightness may be wheelbase had somthing to do with it but never loss that wobble at 100-110 mph but still give left nut to have it back together only thing I have is exhaust still

#74 ·
By the way I took engine out of flattrack put in oif 76 rolling chassis stock everything but struts on frame took it to drag strip went 12.10 with street tire right off at strip even had to put stator back on for bat elim. no big hole shot no wheelie bars just rode it to track right off street fun motors fun street bike. no wobble. slick and wheelie bar on 70 frame with 2" in swing arm,stuts, air shift pump gas went real low 11s at 116 in 1/4 mile same motor just freshend up a bit. shortrod 750. never ran that motor on fuel or alky just gas.

#78 · (Edited)
Did some works on this here unit. The owner and I decided that since the motor is fairly serious we'd build the rest of the bike to match, so it's getting modernish suspension, brakes and all that jazz. Huge front brake from a Monster, Brembo calipers, Excel rims, Goodyear flat track tires. Lots of fun shit.

I decided to tackle the rear wheel first, because it was going to have to have carriers for sprocket and rotor to mount to the Barnes hub. These are easy enough to call up and order from somewhere, but I decided to make them so as to get the exact dimensions I wanted and so I could relocated the wheel bearings out to the carriers. Here's all the jazz that I ordered up for the front and rear hubs, materials to make carriers, rotors, Rebel Gears sprocket etc:

Roughly 18 hours later, here's the stuff for the rear hub ready to go together. Carriers made in house, sprocket drilled because holes are cool, and a rear rotor for a Duc Monster. The rotor carrier has a lip on the back of it that the rotor registers on so everything stays true.

The whole mess assembled. I may switch to titanium bolts if my client wants to spend $300 or so to do it, or else I'll just leave these:

Here's the bike currently. Buell forks and the hardest I've ever worked to put a rear wheel on a bike. I'll get the front rim laced up tomorrow and see if I have to make a spacer for the front rotor. As soon as they arrive I have to make for the calipers, then make some aluminum bodywork.

#83 ·
Thanks fellas. Here's a few pictures of the frame up on two wheels at static ride height. Might pull the front end down another quarter inch or so to lose a degree or two of steering angle, I'd like this thing to turn in with the quickness.

The front end. Those are 45mm (!!) forks from a Buell M2. I'm pretty stoked on them, and I'm pretty stoked on hanging a big old 4 pot caliper on that rotor too.

#85 ·
Heh, I get that a lot but it's not as clean as it looks. It's tidy because we have a thousand feet of storage now and our service department is in a seperate area of the building too, so I don't have anything in my fab shop except the bikes I'm building at that moment and equipment. And a couch for my dogs haha.

there's always a nice layer of metal dust on everything though. We're doing so much fab work now that we're having to blow off benches/equipment and sweep every night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.