Jockey Journal Forum banner

Best Years for a Shovelhead?

87K views 79 replies 60 participants last post by  76shuvlinoff 
#1 ·
Looking into getting a shovel when i get back and remember reading somewhere that certain years were more reliable or sought after. whats the thought process on that and why or does it really matter?

#33 ·
There are no bad years, really. AMF saved H-D from the grave. My '76 is an AMF, and one of the finest road machines a man could ask for. Specs say 800 miles per quart, oil consumption. I managed to get by at around 1000 miles per quart. On a good cross country trip, you can get by without an oil change, as it was always fresh. 74 cu-in pulled all day long, loaded heavy with gear.

Jack

#51 ·
I have had a 72, a 78, and now a 1981 FLH80Classic.
I have to say, Im most happy with the 81. It had 3500mi. on the rebuild when I bought it 3 years ago and it now has 20,500mi on it and I have not touched the motor other than oil change and some electrical components. Not even adjusted the valves..I beat the Hell otta' this bike. The only oil leak is the size of a silver dollar from the crankcase breather tube after a 400+ mile ride typically. It still has the original cylinders with the factory auxillary oil lines from the cylinder bases to the tappet blocks. I beat the Hell otta this bike!

#58 ·
I have to say the gennys are the way to go but if you're like me and can't afford it, then I'd say 1981 is your year since it was the first year they went to the new (and better) oiling system. I purchased a nice 81 after an oldtimer mentioned that 81-84 take to performance enhancements better than the genny shovels.

#59 ·
So I put this pic in the other shovelhead thread, but it really should have gone here...

The '69 and earlier bikes are definately cooler, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the alternator bikes. This is my buddy's 1974 FLH which I have been riding around for the last couple of months. This bike is almost completely original, and it is an AMF. No rebuilds, no improvements to compensate for inferior contstruction, no nothin'

It just goes, and goes, and goes....

-Shaggy

#63 ·
here's the thing to think about

none of the shovel engines runs the same
like mine its a 70's engine and a buddy of mine also has a shovel out of that same year ,same specs ,same carb and both with a M5 magneto ,they just don't run the same way .....and i'm sure that if you test 2 shovel engines out of the same year they act differently !!

so its up to what you want
i like the 66 to 69 shovels better lookswise ,but as been said before also more expensive to buy
the early nose cone shovels are good to and so are the later AMF ones .....but none of them runs the exact same way

you just need to find one that is in good condition and affordable
unless you want to start with a basket case and want to rebuild so you will now in the end that you have an overhauled reliable engine !!

and whats in a year then ?!

just my 0.2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.