Jockey Journal Forum banner

Sportster chain conversion

20K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  450bobber 
#1 ·
Ordered conversion sprockets from drag specialties. The front sprocket is obviously missing a piece. I can not find anything on their site. ds said these sprockets would be all i need to convert from belt to chain. I looked at ledsledcustoms chain conversion pics and their front sprocket looks exactly the same with the three threaded holes. Can someone who has done this please help me figure out what i need to do to get this working? the weather is getting way to nice to have my bike sittin in the garage. I could make a piece to make it work but that seems a little extreme when this is supposed to be a conversion kit.
im new to this site and tried searching for this topic and came up empty handed. sorry if its a repost.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok? what holds the nut after the spacer is on? On the stock pulley there is a bracket that bolts on after you mount it that keeps the nut from moving once in place. Guess i should have clarified what i am asking. Are you not supposed to run that piece? and what are the three threaded holes for if so?

#5 ·
thats exactly what i did on mine. I made a spacer for in front and for behind so that i could keep my chain aligned perfectly (it was REALLY close ot the tire). Then just run an allen head into one of the threaded holes. My allen was a little too big, so i just ground it down a bit till it fit. easy.

#6 ·
can you post pics of how you made the front spacer? i would rather do that, its aligned good how it is and if i space it from the rear i will have to space the rear sprocket to match. i found seal and spacer kits for front sprocket at zippersperformance.com but no price and no rear sprocket spacer. I dont understand why this wasnt in the kit i bought. how can you sell a conversion kit that only gives you half the effin parts?

#8 ·
Just a word of warning about using only 1 bolt to lock the sprocket nut. I had a 91 FXD. Factory used 1 bolt to lock the mainshaft sprocket nut. They changed to a 2 bolt setup in 92. I found out why. Eventually the 1 bolt WILL shear off and the sprocket nut will loosen. If you're not lucky, the loose nut will mangle the threads on the shaft.
Get 3 bolts in there if you can.

#13 ·
I used a sprocket with about 1/4" offset and if I remember correctly (all I have is this pic right now and no bike in front of me) I just slid it on the splines and used the same plate and screws that held the stock drive pulley and the 1 7/8" nut to hold it on. Did not need any kind of spacer on the inside or outside of the sprocket. And, of course, loctited and hit it with an impact wrench...

#14 ·
got it fixed, thanks for all the help. I'm impressed with how quick i got replies, thanks again. Heres the fix. made a 1/4 inch spacer and made indentions with the dremel so the bolts would go in. Put all three back in cause it looked like pieces were missing if i didn't. Not happy with the way this setup looks, but it is functional and that is all i care about at this point in time. thanks again for the help.

#16 ·
got it fixed, thanks for all the help. I'm impressed with how quick i got replies, thanks again. Heres the fix. made a 1/4 inch spacer and made indentions with the dremel so the bolts would go in. Put all three back in cause it looked like pieces were missing if i didn't. Not happy with the way this setup looks, but it is functional and that is all i care about at this point in time. thanks again for the help.
I think that it looks nice, can't really even tell it is there. good job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.