Jockey Journal Forum banner

Ironhead in my shed build.

55K views 295 replies 25 participants last post by  little d 
#1 ·
I decided on making an official build thread for my 74 ironhead with a 75 motor in it.

Trying to decide if I like how the tank sits .. Going to have to cut the tunnel but hey beats the same ole sporty tank and I might get an extra half gallon.

See less See more
#152 ·
Well that kinda sucks, but not totally unexpected. Gives me an excuse to try this whiskey I picked up at Costco ... It is very young tasting. Time to put up a wtb Andrews tranny gears ad.

#155 ·
First 2 boxes got in last night. Looks great, I will post some pictures when it all gets here, but right now most of my photos are showing up as x's ... guess photobucket wants me to pay for it now.​

#159 ·
something whicked this way comes ....

lifted it out of the box and put it in the engine stand while holding it under my right arm ... little awkward but hey it worked

all the fine stuff mocked up to see if the flat black works with the silver

close up of the points cover .. oopps got the wrong points cover from Super Rat .. kinda like it as it is and it was all he had so i am keeping it

#162 ·
I see what you're saying .. well wanna part with that one? hehe

on a side note started putting my trumpnut rocker bolts on... these things are real nice!

yeah I know i need to align them better but my shop helper (4 year old son) told me not to do anything exciting while he was at swim lessons, which he declared was doing anything in my shop, so I had to stop.

G
#167 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's good to hear...

Cause they will need to come back off to set the end play.
Only way to check is by feel with a feeler gauge down each hole...

I do one cam at a time....Once the end play has been set with however many shims it takes....Set it aside and go on to the next one....
On the specks....I like to go on the loose side for them....

Do have a tool for pulling those out...
The cam must be in the motor for it to work....
The slots on the sides of the lifter blocks is for that tool to lock in....
Will dig it out of my tool box and snap a photo and post it.

This tool makes for an easy job on ones that are being a pain in the ass to get out...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G
#171 ·
#174 ·
it's pointed right at the cover .. i was looking at it and thinking about which way I wanted to put it... I was considering putting it directly down. The one thread that popped loose helicoiled fine. new stainless bolts were tougher than the40 year old block. I retapped it and cleaned the threads on the bolt after I helicoiled it and put it back in. I beam torque wrench is a bit tougher to work with but man it will not go out of cal unless you bend it with a vice.

I think my ibeam is 1960's era

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.