Jockey Journal Forum banner

Von Dutch swapmeet find

12K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  Tortolabob 
#1 ·
I was at the Long Beach motorcycle swap this sunday,and I managed to pick this out of a pile of parts.I'm pretty sure it's the real deal.the signature looks right on.I believe it says Encino under the signature.if I'm not mistaken,he was working out of there in the mid 50's,early 60's.

before I gently cleaned it.

after.the colors are still very bright.you can see light checking in the lacquer.

See less See more
#10 ·
That pegs the super cool gauge at 10.

If I found that, Id be building a neat bike to go with it.

But yeah Hangin it up is probably the smarter way to go.

Nobody ever says what they paid for stuff here much.....I know. Was it like a stupid cheap price, or did the guy think he had gold?
believe me,your better off not knowing.but I can assure you,the dude had no clue of the significance of this piece.I couldn't tell if it was because he didn't see the name or if he just didn't have a clue. I had a gut feeling from about 20 feet away.total tunnel vision. as soon as I picked it up,I started searching for the signature.the thing is so cool!

#15 ·
Great find!!!!....I love that kind of thing...like some of the other's have said, put it on your wall and admire it for a long time...

Ummm...where did you say you live???....

hehehe....good for you, dude!!!....I know I'd be proud as hell over that score!!!

Larry in MD

#17 ·
That's actually the work of a little known copycat that went by the name Von Dutchski. Unfortunately the last part of the signature is damaged but I'm sure that's it. Since I'm the only person that collects Von Dutchski's worthless stuff I think you should make arrangements for me to get that obvious fake Von Dutch junk for my collection. Sorry you got taken in by the fake piece.

#18 ·
Good deal er a steal! I know how much but its not my place to say. Another guy was telling me about it at Jost's after the swap. Nice score! Haha, he just emailed me while probably beating his head against the counter for not grabbing it. Ya, I would hang it on a wall and call it art.

#20 ·
That nice score was gently transported home in the luxury of my '91 4 door Camry. Great eye and nice find Rene. I am surprised you cleaned it up, I would have been scared to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.