Jockey Journal Forum banner

featherbed frame build

84K views 168 replies 62 participants last post by  VonWegener 
#1 ·
really like the featherbed frames so that's the basic start of this long road.. got lucky to have a guy loan me an atlas thinline frame for a week to let me measure and make form jigs and yesterday after a day of scrap i got one side bent up!....so here's the start of a long road...
...any suggestions along the way chime in!

See less See more
#8 ·
WOW. Awesome start so far. After building a slimline out of 4130 myself, I can truly admire the work you are putting into this.
Must be lucky having a buddy to get frame dimensions from...

What motor do you plan on running?

#39 · (Edited)
All production Featherbed frames were mild steel, both Thinline and Wideline. Only the Manx Featherbeds, which were Wideline, were Reynolds 531, and they were not quite the same as the production frames - no castings, no steering head gussets, different swingarms etc.

edit - Sorry, I also wanted to say you're doing a hell of a job recreating one of the best frames ever made. I've had a NorBSA and a Triton, you're going to love it.

#26 ·
IMHO there are a few good reasons for that. Top two being I don't see the engine fitting the frame very well, and Ducati made frames that worked pretty well as is.

Basically I don't see the point of that excercise other than just to be different, which is ok I suppose but not my cup of tea. FWIW if I were going to build a featherbed style framed bike, it'd be Sportster powered...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.