Jockey Journal Forum banner

Bonneville 2009

14K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Hoofhearted 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
so where were you hangin ??? I seen the other post on the hamb about the car that went lean . . . was that the on with the piston up on the table that looked like the center dropped out of it ?? monster flatty ?? If so i may have talked to you . . . not sure what you look like but talked to a dude standing there that kinda seemed like he was hangin with those guys . . . Has to be the same one looked like it went way lean but also looked like boost blew the piston down but never seen any power adder

#6 ·
The week started out cool and quick.Many records were broken last week.As a spectator I had a blast.Three years in a row and planning on next year.I'd like to publicly Thank Wes,Chuck,Danny,Dave and Chris for the hospitality.You guys made the '09 Salt experience great.It was nice to have a canopy to keep out of the sun.Thanks....

#8 ·
Thanks Frost, you are welcome anytime at the Four Aces Pit.

I gotta beg to differ on the "biggie" on the Bub Speed Trials. Bub has been around for four or five years, Speed Week is 61 years old. Only about half the entries are actually going for a record at Bub. I am not saying "all" but lots of guys just show up to say that they "run Bonneville." And for fifty bucks a throw, anyone can run up and down the Bub course and get a time slip. This is not what racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats is all about. It is about commiting to learning how your bike will run up there, day after day.

The guys that commit to staying all week at Bub and run for the world records have all my respect, but there seems to be these weird rumors that the "lines at Speed Week are too long," "nobody is friendly to motorcyclists" and it is "too expensive" to run at speedweek. None of these criticisms have the least bit of merit to them. I made 12 runs at Speed Week this year and have run as many as 17 times in the past. Big D from Dallas made 17 runs this year by Wednesday on their Norton alone. Divide those numbers by the $400 entry fee and it is "cheaper" than Bub. The tech guys at Speed Week are WORLD CLASS and everyone has the "help out your buddy whether you know him or not" spirit. There is no harmful anti-motorcyclist bias.

I have never been to Bub, so I cannot criticise the event, but one thing I can say is that after 61 years, Speed Week is "the biggie."

#11 ·
Mr. Endrizzi, Fouraceswes has been to Bonneville many times. I have only been there once. BUB is the new guy on the block. There is also World of Speed run by USFR and World Finals run by the SCTA. Speed Week started in 1948. It is the grandaddy and the biggie. As Wes said you can go to BUB and pay your $50 and make a pass and say you ran on the salt. People at Speed Week are there to try for record speeds as are some of the BUB entrants. Misinformed and opinionated are two words that do not apply to Wes. Perhaps if you look in the mirror you might find someone representative of those words.

#23 ·
You and me both. A family reunion got in the way this year but next year I'm going as a spectator come hell or high water. I think I can handle watching guys go for records whilst sitting under an umbrella pounding Rolling Rocks.

#16 ·
The Lowe Brothers will run the BUB meet in 2010 simply because we want our AMA records back. We are NOT running just to say we've run on the salt". We ran on the salt 40 years ago. And, we will stay as long as it takes to reclaim our records, or exlpode a 45 year old Honda!

100/2010!

#17 ·
I'll be at the BUB meet this year, I'm not running anything but want I heard it's a good place to meet old dudes. The "run what ya brung" at bub is not my scene...I see no point to it. Go for a record if you're gonna race. I missed speed week this year but I've been before, something I would recommend to any gearhead. Wes is right about speed week- it's the real deal and has incredible history and heritage. BUB is a newer event but the records are AMA (not SCTA) and also sanctioned by FIM. Both are pretty amazing in my book. Way harder to build a bike to go fast than it is to find old chopper parts and start a blog about it.

#18 ·
At BUB 82 year young Bud Schmidt will be running an XR 1200 sponsored by Lafayette, Indiana Eagle Harley in the AMA record class. Bud ran "the Monster" a dual engine Knucklehead to a speed of 157.20 back in 1955. Look for a Joe Petrali replica streamliner to debut at BUB. Rocky Dillinger should bet there to run his Indian Scout powered Dream Catcher streamliner.http://www.virtualindian.org/lsrtxt.html Ack Attack ( current streamliner record holder ) will be challenged by the BUB number 7. These are a few examples of the serious AMA /FIM racers that you will encounter at BUB. I certainly would not argue the historical significance of Speed Week. However brief the BUB event has been, it is the ONLY event at Bonneville that is dedicated strictly to motorcycles. That is the rational that I used to support the term biggie. I look forward to seeing JJ members at BUB. http://www.knucklenutz.com/tech/

#24 ·
At BUB 82 year young Bud Schmidt will be running an XR 1200 sponsored by Lafayette, Indiana Eagle Harley in the AMA record class. Bud ran "the Monster" a dual engine Knucklehead to a speed of 157.20 back in 1955. Look for a Joe Petrali replica streamliner to debut at BUB. Rocky Dillinger should bet there to run his Indian Scout powered Dream Catcher streamliner.http://www.virtualindian.org/lsrtxt.html Ack Attack ( current streamliner record holder ) will be challenged by the BUB number 7. These are a few examples of the serious AMA /FIM racers that you will encounter at BUB. I certainly would not argue the historical significance of Speed Week. However brief the BUB event has been, it is the ONLY event at Bonneville that is dedicated strictly to motorcycles. That is the rational that I used to support the term biggie. I look forward to seeing JJ members at BUB. http://www.knucklenutz.com/tech/
I met Bud a couple of years ago at Speedweek. He was trying out a V-Rod that I heard he crashed. Glad to see he's still out there. I will be helping some friends with their Triton at the Bub event this year. It will be my first Bub event...not much on history and tradition...but ALL BIKES! And after all, how bad could it be, it's Bonneville!

#19 ·
pete, i didnt get too in to it with that guy. he seemed a little anti-social. from what i did get from him was that it did 167 something on one of his runs. he was having issues with running rich so he put a little plastic scoop on the air cleaner and later had to change out a fuel pump. he was trying for 175 so he could hit the long course. as far as i know, its not an old drag bike. his plans were to get it as fast as possible then auction it off at the love ride this year.

#20 ·
Thanks Ryan for acknowledging bikes as well as cars at speedweek.
I love the diversity at Bonneville. To stand at the start line and watch what rolls up: an old triumph, then a roadster, a lakester, then a Harley, another roadster, then a tank, and on and on and on. Just incredible. No place like it.

And while riding my '48 triumph there I got NOTHING but appreciative interest from both racers and spectators!

AND oh yeah, Wes and Chris and the whole fouraces camp is top notch!!

#21 ·
John,
Sorry to say that I and The Bonneville crew "The DreamCatcher" will not be at BUB this year due to economic downturns, however we hope to have an Indian uprising at BUB 2010 with 8 Indian Motorcycle teams having some friendly competition amongst tribes as well as unveiling a blown double Indian scout.
Rocky- Rick Dillinger
Iron Wigwam
1957 S/VG
1959 B/MG

#30 ·
Tiberius,
Bud told me that he set a record on his ass....... the length that he skidded on his ass. At 120 + lbs. he couldn't afford to loose much !
Look me up at the Buell Bros. pit.
He's a tough old fucker! I love the pics he has of him on that double knuck engined bike. Be nice to build that bike again. I'll look for you guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.