Jockey Journal Forum banner

Remote mount filter, filter?

3K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  HolyHandGrenade 
#1 ·
I did a search and can't find anything Evo specific. I read through all the threads I could find on here and elsewhere.

I have an 03' Sporty and want to put a remote filter on it. I have the adapter and mount in my "shopping cart" on Jegs.com.

My question is this. What filter do I want to use on this engine? I read that I could use a PH8a in one thread. Then in another I read that I should use an HP series filter due to it being more high flow. Now, I don't even know if this matters on my bike since it came from the factory WITH a filter.

While reading through the other threads I saw all the opinions on aesthetics. I really don't want to start another debate about how it LOOKS. Just an idea of what I need for a filter.

Thank you!

#3 ·
i would just get one from deville cycles or baas metal craft. the one i got from deville came with a filter.

#4 ·
I checked out their stuff. Very nice. I especially liked Teach's stuff. I also followed a link to his school site. I think that's so cool, building Choppers in metal shop!

Anyway, I'd already ordered this stuff when I read your reply:

At the risk of being flamed, is this going to work without being detrimental to my bike? I like the idea of adding the extra oil to the system and using the filter hanging out there in the wind as pseudo oil cooler.

What I'm afraid of is putting too much resistance on the system and ruining my mew 1250 kit the first time that I fire it up...

Everyone keeps telling me to put the filter on the return side. If I screw the adapter on the stock filter stud, I'll already be on the correct side, no?

Thank you!

Attachments

#6 ·
It is. I also like the looks of this. I want to hang it off the rear fender brace at the same angle as the shock. I understand that this isn't everyones cup of tea. I'm just wondering if this is going to cause me any trouble.

I'm planning to run the lines under the bike. behind the solo bag on the left side and to the filter mounted as described above.

#7 ·
Sometimes function is better than looks. Especially when you're in the wind. If you're too concerned about heat, run an oil cooler. I had my evo sporty with an oil cooler and a hopped up motor running in phoenix during the summer with no overheating in traffic... just sayin...

#9 ·
I actually just put this on EBay. I need a new exhaust more than this, and I can't get a straight answer to weather it'll work or not. Probably due to the fact that nobody does it this way... :D

I'm not willing to chance it on my new motor. I guess the thread will stay going for the others who might want to know the same thing...

#10 ·
It will work fine, just put it on the return side. You dont want it on the supply side, if it get restricted, no oil to motor. You can hang it wherever ya want, Indian Larry always had his on the back by where the shock would be.

#12 ·
No shit. Show me where I said he did. I said he built most of his bikes with a remote filter hangin on the back where the shock would be. An evo is an evo, BT or sporty, they have pretty much the same oiling system.

#21 ·
Simmer down there slick... I feel if youre going to use an example use a relative one. Adorn used to build some bad ass sporties in the 60's and 70's and kept his oil filters in the stock spot on the ones i saw...

#13 ·
im going with fehd as long as the oil flows from tank to engine to filter back to tank you should be good. im gonna throw one on my 74 this winter funny part is the old bikes didnt have filters right they just had some mesh trap thing. one would think maybe thats why the older ones are a little rougher some times?

#15 ·
FeHd is ABSOLUTELY correct --- it'll work just fine.
I've had a remote filter hanging off the rear of my ironhead for years with ZERO probs.
I've used everything from Dyna filters from H-D to Fram HP1 race filters and it made no difference whatsoever.
I just wanted a big-ass filter, hanging out in the breeze, to add volume to my oil supply & keep it cool.
It's not fucking rocket science.

#16 ·
I thought in theory that it would work just fine too. Due to the fact that I was putting the filter right back where it belongs, as far as which SIDE of the system it would go on. I mean, it's getting adapted right from the stock location. I was just looking for a second or third opinion to ease my worries about doing it.

My worries were with the filter being mounted up so high, and having LONG lines run to it from the front of the engine, that it might tax the pump beyond what it's meant to do. Possibly resulting in less flow, or premature breakdown of the oil pump.

#17 ·
If it's more for looks than function, why bother to hook it up? You're not going to gain any advantage in function. Mount it, run the hoses up under the frame and just tie them off. No need to hook it up. You won't have any worries over it hurting your motor, no leaks, no risk of a burst hose.

Bob

#18 ·
If it's more for looks than function, why bother to hook it up? You're not going to gain any advantage in function. Mount it, run the hoses up under the frame and just tie them off. No need to hook it up. You won't have any worries over it hurting your motor, no leaks, no risk of a burst hose.

Bob
I have to draw the line somewhere! I do, do things because I like the way they "look". But I draw the line at trying to fool someone. In my book that would be just like a four barrel under a fake super charger!

I know what you mean though. I just personally don't like hanging things on that don't function. That's different than putting form OVER function. Know what I mean?

Two examples:

I had a 52 GMC with side pipes. It would've been easier to just hang them off the side rather than making pipes to hook them up. But to me if they're on there, they should work.

I put an Eelco tank on the front of a "gasser" style truck we built. Even though I knew I would never use the tank, I hooked it up so if you WANTED to you could turn a couple of valves and run racing fuel in it.

Probably stupid, but it's one of MY things. ;)

#22 ·
Line length & the height of the filter won't have any effect on how well it works.
As I stated, the long lines from front-to-back actually help by adding volume to the oiling system.
I run the hot oil coming out of the motor through a Lockhart cooler & a 5" filter before it returns to the tank --- which it does JUST FINE, even with all those feet of line & my mid-'70s Sportster pump.

#25 ·
Thank you, THATS what I needed to know! I just ended my auction early. Maybe I'll go ahead and do it.

I just called K&N to look for a filter without a check valve. The lady wasn't very helpful. She couldn't search by thread size. All she could do was cross reference. She came up with HP-3001 as a replacement for an HP1, and couldn't find anything for PH8A. They MUST have something to replace a PH8A!
The HP-3001 has a check valve. I don't know if this is a problem but have read that it can be?

#28 ·
Its all good man, just on the rag, lol.

#26 ·
Check valves are only a problem if you don't change your oil (like car owners) for forever and allow sludge to clog the filter element to the point where it doesn't work.

Everyone and their brother-in-law uses both the PH-8 and the big-ass HP1 racing filter.
The HP1, Indian Larry's filter of choice (there's that name-dropping again), is a high-flow/low-restriction unit & works GREAT.

#29 ·
I have personally seen (On my own race car) Fram filters deplete oil pressure but thats an argument for another day. You say Potato .... i say who gives a F***. :cool: Its not my bike ... i would NEVER use a FRAM anything but each to their own. I use Wix on all my vehicles. They seem to filter well and my oil stays cleaner, longer. Just my opinion. Hang it out there in the breeze ... your bike bro.

#30 ·
I went over to the storage unit "garage" to put the remote filter on tonight. I had it all mocked up and ready to drill some holes. I couldn't decide if I REALLY liked it or not. I'm just going to sell this stuff. If I don't LOVE it now, I'll probably regret it later...

Thanks for all the help though guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.