Jockey Journal Forum banner

What Stretch and Drop for T100 Hartail

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  -Matt- 
#1 ·
Well I am done screwing around with the piece of shit hardtail that came with my bike T100 bobber. I am at the point where I have a roller and was getting ready to weld on the tensioner and seat bungs when I discovered a crack in the frame at the bottom just behind the bend that goes back up ti the axle plate. I could probably have it fixed, but, I have no confidence in this old hardtail of unknown origin. I think I am going to go ahead and order a new one from The Factory Metal Works. The question I have is what is the best looking stretch and drop of the hardtail? I am running a 19" conical front end and a skinny 18" spool with a drum in the rear. These are brand new freshly laced wheels that are all mounted new Avon Speedmaster and Mileage Safety tires, so, they are staying. I need room for the battery and the chain tensioner as well as the octagon oil tang that I already have. I also have a rear fender that is made to go with the stock tire. I like the look of the one I have, but, it is sitting a little high in the front and I will probably have to drop the front end 2" to get it to level out. I will post up a picture in a few minutes of what I have so far.

#5 ·
Ya I like the length right now. I just need to figure out what kind of drop it has. Hopefully, the search button will give me the info I need. If it has a 2" drop right now, I wonder if I get one with no drop, will that level up the bike. Anyway, I will do a little research and then call the Factory if I can't find what I need.

#7 ·
I'm in the planning stages of a similar T100 build, and after looking at a LOT of pictures, reading a LOT of threads, and making note of what I like, and what I don't, I think I've decided to go with a 4" stretch, and a 2.5" drop on mine. I'm also thinking about running an 18" rear, and 19" front.

Seems to be the most common stretch/drop combination, and maybe that's for a reason. I personally find it the most aesthetically appealing.

Good luck, and keep us posted either way!

#9 ·
Lucas from The Factory had me take a measurement from the floor to the center of the axle which was 13.25". I also measured the length from the tip of the top plate where it bolts on to the front loop to the very end of the axle plate and that measurement was 30". I am waiting to hear back from him and then I will decide on the stretch. He recommended a 1/2" drop so the bike sits level. I didn't want to cut the forks down, I would prefer to leave them stock. Just need to decide between the 4" and 6" stretch.

#11 ·
I been trying things on a hardtail and with 2.5 drop the chain was close to the oil tank, and problems with road clearance at the side stand. Front end needed lots of lowering to sit near level. Looked cool though. Now I'm trying 1" of drop, mock-up sure looks better.

#12 ·
I have been going back and forth with Lucas from the Factory via email. Sent him the pictures of what I have now and the parts that need to be added. Long story short, I just placed the order for a 4" stretch with zero drop. Should level up the bike perfectly and allow me to use the pipes that came with it. They run under the frame. This project is now two times over budget, so, dropping a few hundred more for a safe well constructed hardtail is probably the only smart thing I have done yet. I will post a picture of the new hardtail in a few weeks when I have it installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.