Jockey Journal Forum banner

Electric Question (Shovel)

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Destralo Roach 
#1 ·
with my build, I will be re-wiring from the ground up. I am running an 80 Shovel, (elc. ignition) with Kick only and headlight, stoplight. Super basic. I found this diagram, but am wondering what difference I would need for the points vs. electric ignition? and if this diagram is accurate?

Also, if Im running fuses, what kind should I look for?

Sorry Im not an electric guy, but it has to be learned. thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
one question I still have (becuase Im a dummy)
is how do I know which wires goes where from the electric ignition to the coils? I will only run one coil system (sigle plugs)
or maybe I should restate it a bit, where do all the wires go from the electric ignition?

#7 ·
There is usually only 2 wires necessary for I.E.. The others are such stuff as voes and tach. The destructions will tell you about the VOES, The tach isn't necessary. So, Two wires really make the E.I. work one is hot [+12v] from one side of the coil [generally], and the other is the trigger to the other side of the coil.
As in Dyna S.
HTH
RP

#16 ·
So, Im a bit confused to what I do with my ignition module 32398-91A, as I noticed those diagrams above are missing them. Is the ignition mod a complete part of the electric ignition setup?

I have 7 wires coming out of it
Black
White
Pink

black
Purple
Greeen
Red
There should be tracers on some of the wires if it is a -91a. The wires would be connected as follows...

black=ground
black w/white tracer=sensor plate
green=sensor plate all three sensor plate wires go to pick red=sensor plate up in nose cone
pink=negative side of coil
white=positive side of coil
purple w/white tracer=VOES

The VOES (vaccuum operated electric switch) advances and retards the igntion based on manifold vaccuum. I know that the bike will be easier to start and run better with a VOES installed! Consider it. Some of the other wire may have a white tracer as well (green and red) but they go in the same spot.

#13 ·
Still raining but I did look at my notes.
If the leads you called out previously are on 2 different plugs... Then the Purple wire is VOES.. I grounded mine. The White is 12v [one side of coil] the black bundled with the white is trigger [other side of coil] and the pink is tach. Goes with trigger if tach is used, otherwise not connected.
The three wire connector is to the trigger unit in the points cavity [nose cone].
Simply match the colors, green black and red...
There should be one more lone black wire comin' outa the module... Ground.
HTH
RP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.