Jockey Journal Forum banner

72 Norton restoration

24K views 101 replies 20 participants last post by  reverb 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't done a build thread on here in a while, so I thought if there was any interest I would start recording the process of restoring a '72 Norton. The object is not going to be something that would be considered as concourse, just a nice looking machine that can be ridden on a regular basis. The bike is a 1972 chassis with an early '69 engine...from the pics you can see that it has been stored in a rather miserable and damp location (outside?) for at least 20+ years. A lot of stuff missing and a lot of stuff that just cannot be cleaned up. Got to finish up an AJS Model 30 before I dig into this one, but that should happen in the next week or two. The first thing to do will be to remove the engine and transmission and strip the frame so I can address some frost damage on the lower frame loops. After that I'll be tearing down the engine to see what kind of squirrels have set up housekeeping inside it. :D

See less See more
#32 ·
I love that you're refurbishing as much original stuff as possible.
Thanks. I always try to reuse as much of the original stuff as I can. Some people like to restore stuff to the point where you have to wonder just how much of the original machine is left...that's OK, but it's not the way I roll...and when things are too expensive or too hard to find, that's when I find it interesting to fabricate parts myself.

...and Ratso, youre partially right, but that B44 will probably spend a hell of a lot more time cluttering up my shop than his. :D

#33 · (Edited)
You work fast Goldy, winter has just begun and you have almost wrapped up the Norton already. Great thread! I'm still tidying and preparing my shop for the winters endevour. Could you go in detail on the head job if it is not already done.

Cheers
Lester

#34 ·
Well Lester, as far as the head goes, there really wasn't too much to it...upon removing the valve covers, I found the inside of the head to be remarkably clean. After that I removed the valves, springs and intake seals. The head was degreased in the parts washer, then after it had dried, I applied a good spray of Hotwire (that's an acid based wire wheel cleaner) to help remove the corrosion.While still wet, I gave it a light scrubbing, then it was thoroughly flushed with water and finally given a final buffing up with a selection of brass wire brushes. The valves were cleaned up in the lathe and appeared to be new. After checking the stem clearance in the valve guides, I lapped the valves to the seats, confirmed a good sealing surface with machinist bluing, then fitted new seals and put the whole lot back together, I gave the internals a good soaking in motor oil, polished up the valve covers and that was the end of that. I didn't take any pics during the job, so about all I've got is before and after.

#35 · (Edited)
Got the crankcase together and was all ready to fit the freshly rebored cylinder only to find that I had the wrong piston rings..far too big for these cylinders (Triumph 750). I was hoping to have the engine back together this week, but it's going to have to wait until the correct rings come in. Meanwhile I decided to tackle the forks. I had to machine a new damper cap for the left fork, as somehow the original one had broken, anyhow after looking after that I replaced the seals and tubes and polished up the lower legs. After that I turned to the Ebay brake caliper...cosmetically it was in remarkably good condition, but of course, the bleeder screw broke off...so I had to drill that out and machined up a replacement bleeder bolt, all sorted out now.
I wonder how much longer I will have to wait for the frame...the fellow who does my powder coating for me does absolutely flawless work, but he is not usually known for a speedy turn over.
Meanwhile I'm sure I will find some other things to tinker with... got an Ariel Square Four engine coming in this weekend.

crankcase back together

New damper cap

Forks and caliper...nothing quite like a smooth pair of legs.

#38 ·
OK...get your 'wank rag' out, here's the Sqariel stuff. I brought this pile home today, got to sit down and sort through it all to see how much is there and how much is missing. This total basket case is the sort of state that about half the projects I work on come in as...it's a challenge, but I enjoy it and it keeps me on my toes. I will document the build in a separate thread after I get this Norton sorted out.

#40 ·
Got the correct rings, so it was on with the show. Barrels in place then the head was installed and torqued and valves set. Got the rear brake disassembled and cleaned...all set to go (or should I say stop)...Today, over coffee a little birdie told me that he saw a nice black Norton frame with my name on it, so if that is indeed so, then the timing couldn't have been better, as I'm just about ready to make this thing back into a roller. May tackle the carbs next.

#41 ·
Got the carbs all cleaned up inside and out...not much wear on the slides or the mixing chamber bore, they should work well. And last night around suppertime, a knock comes at the door and there is my buddy with the frame and other bits and pieces...he does some damn fine work for a very reasonable price. Now I can start putting a roller back together again...that is, as soon as I finish painting the kitchen cupboards for the boss of me. Restorations I love, renovations I hate...besides, the painting was supposed to be HER part of the job! :p

Carbs:

Powder coated:

#44 ·
OK...kitchen cupboards are done...with that out of the way I got back at the bike. Straightened out and polished the instrument cups, installed the front end after turning a missing wheel spacer, then got the engine and transmission in the frame...new isolastics too. Swing arm was installed following that. Then took a look at the shocks...I was thinking I would need to replace them, but on closer examination I decided that they might be able to be cleaned up (by now it should be obvious that I prefer to repair rather than replace things). Took 'em apart to make sure they weren't leaking and that they actually still worked, then gave them a good clean up and some fresh paint. After checking out the ridiculously high price of a replacement tail light fairing, I decided that it would be well worth the effort to repair the old one...just some cracks in the gelcoat, but I was glad I wasn't fiddling around with it while mama hornet was nesting inside. That's about it for this week.

instrument cups

engine and transmission back in place

crusty shocks

shocks after clean up

mama hornet's nursery

#45 ·
Goldy, is this just a lucky score that you are going to sell on or is it a keeper? It's looking great so far. If you intend to sell it you'll have way more punters with a solid & clean rider with used parts than a showroom item - must put people off knowing that an hours worth of riding means a day's worth of polishing. Keep it coming, I'm filing all your tricks away for future use.

#46 ·
No, this one isn't mine (although I am getting attached to it), I'm doing it for a friend.
I hope he takes care of it...I did one of this up for a neighbour a few years back and he let it get filthy, so and I grossed him out for it...he was afraid to bring it 'round after that without cleaning it up first. :D

#52 ·
Didn't mean to say that what your doing isn't worth looking after...just that some 'concourse' restorers take it over the top with matching original parts / finishes and so on. This is way cooler, and hopefully the owner won't be afraid to ride the shit out of it... I would.

Clocks look beautiful.

#47 ·
Things are progressing...got the primary installed and the cover polished and mounted. The oil tank was in terrible shape outside, but inside it was almost spotless...managed to get it cleaned up and it now sports several coats of shiny black paint. Gauges were cleaned up, fitted with new bezels and reglazed in Lexan...try breaking them now! After checking the cost of a replacement tail light fairing, I decided it was worth while trying to fix up all the cracking. Body work is not my strong point, but I must be getting better at it, because it came out quite nicely.

Oil tank

Gauges before and after:

Primary drive:

Tail light fairing

#53 · (Edited)
No worries Cookie, I knew what you meant, I'm a stubborn bastard who clings to my ideals
and won't work for people who only want to have a machine as a living room ornament and concourse machines 'tend' to be treated that way (no disrespect to concourse builders intended...amazingly perfect work is indeed amazing). I say "ride 'em, don't hide 'em", after all, that's what they were meant for, right?! God knows my own bikes are not exactly spotless, I just try to keep 'em 'reasonably' tidy.

#57 · (Edited)
Things have been moving a little slower over the past couple of weeks...I guess I can blame it on the holiday season and an elderly relative landing herself in hospital...then there was the three snow storms I had to clean up after last week too...now is "the winter of my discontent" indeed, and I've got at least another three months to put up with. Bah- humbug! :p
Anyhow, I did find some time to tinker with the Commando. The master cylinder was pretty full of gunk, but I managed to get it cleaned up...after fitting it with new seals, it bled through to the brake caliper in no time at all and the machine has a good front brake now.
I dismantled the handlebar switches, cleaned out the spider egg sacs and the contacts and mounted them onto the bars. Got the foot peg brackets etc bolted on and fitted a new headlight shell and mounting brackets...I was sorely tempted to do a little custom fabrication work for brackets, but resisted the urge and just replaced the old rusty ones. Clutch, rear brake, tachometer and speedometer cables are on as well. Since the local chrome shop has changed hands yet again, I thought I would give them a shot at the fenders, but at $600.00 plus tax, I decided for that cost they could stuff 'em where the sun don't shine...pricing themselves out of a job...I can get new ones for half the cost. I'll be ordering new replacements soon. And with that I will bid you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy 2017!

Gunky master cylinder:

Latest progress:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.