Jockey Journal Forum banner

The Corsa Moto-Classica Vintage Racing at its Finest

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Hoofhearted 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Well hot damn.... 2 thoughts
(1) That vincent thumper is glorious. Is that a late model, custom comet? it's gorgeous.

(2) Your last point: "These ranks need to be filled by younger guys with early bikes. If you can, get out and do it!" Absolutely, now how about them old timers loosen the grip on some of their stash and let 'em go for prices we can afford!

#4 ·
(2) Your last point: "These ranks need to be filled by younger guys with early bikes. If you can, get out and do it!" Absolutely, now how about them old timers loosen the grip on some of their stash and let 'em go for prices we can afford!
Nice thought, but not realistic. As stuff gets older, more and more collectors want it, and will hoard it. They're not about to "let it go for prices we can afford" to one of us heathens to chop up or wad up on a race track.

So I race a '69 Triumph I bought for $500. Had my first racing wreck on it this weekend, minor thankfully, and will be fixed up by our next AHRMA round in 2 weeks at Talledega GP.

If I had dumped my '69 Laverda, I'd be crying over unobtainium parts. For the Triumph, I bent stuff back into place, taped up the seat, replaced a few bits, ready to go back at it.

The most common bike newcomers to the vintage race scene start on is the plentiful and cheap pre-72 Honda CB350. Plenty of support, including go-fast parts, and commonly given away! Good cheap fun.

#3 ·
I think this is the same bike. Gorgeous. Not a Comet. A Grey Flash. Didn't get to see it run unfortunately. Loved the 'Taco behind it.

#5 ·
Good point. Sometimes I think classic racing is on borrowed time. Bt there is a lot of early jap stuff that can be raced. As you say CB350s and CB360s are plentiful. A lot are being raced and I'm sure its only a matter of time before they start filtering into the classic scene. I saw this Laverda at Willow Springs. I always loved the triples. Don't know the model designation but its handsome.

#7 ·
Flog it. They weren't made to be looked at. I've been flogging my Norton for 41 years. When I can't fix it I'll polish up and put it on the coffee table. This was my favorite at Willow Springs. A TRIPLE race winning cammy Norton. And stunningly beautiful.

#8 ·
Speaking of the Garage co. Does anyone have any pix of the racing sportie he had in the window a few years ago? The one with lightning holes in the cylinder fins, and everything else. Stared at that bike for the longest time! Last time I was there it was gone. :(

#10 ·
Cool write-up, I hear you about the expense of the older bikes. Kinda the reason I got my Royal Enfield Bullet, dirt cheap used, 50s tech, plenty of go fast parts developed by Hitchcocks in the UK. By the time I'm done, the only India-made parts will be the cases and frame.

#13 ·
That should be a fun racer when you get it done. We'll need some pics. I remember years ago reading about Enfields seizing when the throttle was shut after running full throttle. The problem was the big end cage being of a CAST material. The cure was to get a big end cage that was broached from a solid rather than cast. This may not apply to your Enfield but it might be worth bearing in mind.

#11 ·
Love them, race them, fix them. A friend of mine has a 1937 Rudge Ulster. He was told the secret of making them last a while ago. "Treat them like sheep dogs. Leave them out at night, never fuss on them, and never a kind word." Heres that triple race winning Norton from above post sticking it to a stroker. If he had tucked down a bit more he could have got another 5 mph. Fabulous bark!!

#14 · (Edited)
Have to put this up. Its a replica 1934 Husqvarna 500 vee twin. The factory originally made five. They were destroyed in a fire. A Swedish engineer got the original drawings and made five replicas. Stunning is the only word I can come up with.

One of my favorite Harleys. Don't ask. There is a perverse little corner of my heart that loves these.

And a couple of tasty Nortons. One in Beart colors.

And one I'd liked to have brought home with me. A J.A.P. speedway engined Norton.

#16 · (Edited)
Simon, Heres the other side. I was wandering throught the pits and it stopped me in my tracks. I knew the story about the replicas being built but I never thought I'd see one. My photos don't do it justice. You really have to see it in person. The trans on the JAP is a standard Norton AMC box.

The reason I have a fascination with the Husky is that I spent some time i Ireland and while there I met Stanley Woods. Stanley won the 1934 senior TT on a Husky. I have been searching for the photo. Heres Stanley after he won the 1932 Junior TT on a Norton.

Found this. Stanley on the Husky, 1934 TT.

#17 ·
Thanks again! They're fantastic looking machines.

Nice to have the personal touch of having met and chatted to such a great old rider - such opportunities are few and far between, and often wasted.

I'm making mine out of a sawn K model engine. They actually look kinda similar if you think about it...

Gotta love those pipes...

The pre-war Nortons do it for me too - great stuff.

#18 ·
I knew Stanley for over 20 years. He was a mine of stories about racing in europe in the 30s. His passing was a loss to the skill of storytelling. While I'm here I'll put this up. Said to be a genuine Hailwood Honda. But then what Honda isn't?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.