Jockey Journal Forum banner

Home made springer...

50K views 51 replies 40 participants last post by  4444Design 
#1 ·
I just bought a set of plans from Crime Scene Choppers to build a springer front end. Any you guys try this? Any advice? Sounds like it might be a good project. Let's see some pictures of your home made forks.....

#3 ·
I got the plans a while ago to
And have made a start .... Ive just found that its a little over enginered and the front end is going to end up really *@$%#!heavey..... Great plans though and gives you room and ideas to make changes and sorta come up with your own design ..
Ill send some pics when im done
Cheers
Tim

#34 ·
My guess is that it is over-engineered for liability sake. If they give you plans that are very tight tolerances and you build it and kill yourself you could sue them. You can thank lawyers for that. These all look wicked.

You could post a pic of that bike with your engine blacked out.

#5 ·
I also bought the plans but have not yet got around to building them. Maybe this winter. What I recall was the Crime Scene had most of the parts waterjet cut and ready to go. Prices were pretty good and still seems like a good way to go.

#7 ·
I used Crime Scene's plans for my build. I thought they were a great starting point for me, and the part#s and suppliers for all the little things you need made them well worth the money.

Joe, from Crime Scene, was real cool with people tweaking his design, and answered any question I had.
<a"]http://i247[/URL]
.photobucket.com/albums/gg147/richardcolligan/Triumph/Build/triumphchopper053.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

#10 · (Edited)
I bought a set a while back to use for ref. only. I wanted a inverted springer and here is what mine turned out to look like,pic with all the parts laid out also. All and all I had less then 300.00 tied up in it, but I made all the parts exept the legs cause I have the lower leg machined to fit the rocker in the center of the leg and needed it to be on the money. Had a machine shop do it for me @ 75.00.
during mock up

#18 ·
Those are fuckin cool! I've never seen a setup like that before.

i really like that inverted springer. most of the ones i'd seen before looked a little too strip club chopper for me. but that's very sharp looking.

Thanks, But I cant take credit for the design. I did copy it from a springer I saw at a show, but like the one above it was a old school springer and had really skinny legs and was alot narrower then my springer. Mines in Mid glide range, and its beefy 1.25" legs w/solid 1" & 1 1 1/8 trees.

#35 ·
Mine is a modified Paughco The front legs are double twisted stainless hex stock. forks from auction site 120 + 45 shipping. Stainless 19 gas wire etc, 15. So a little over 200 maybe.

You gotta watch it twisting stainless though it's more brittle than cold rolled and you can only twist about 1/2 as far.

#42 ·
Dude, I had to sort through two and three year old posts for this?!?! Thanks!

I totally did that 'holey' springer. Looks like the legs from some old hi-lift jacks.

Now I'm gonna start shopping for some more hi-lift jacks.

I love it when old post come back up

#45 ·
Joe p you said you didn't mind share your plans do tell! Or send me a link...
I did the complete Springer on a cad program (STD cad free to download of net) and have them saved on my pc at home. I can send them but I take no responsibility on it. I built this for myself, not to sell or anything and is for my personal use only (legal disclaimer);)

On a side note Im asked for these plans atleast once or twice every couple of months so I wish i could post them somewhere and just let everyone have at it. but again se legal disclaimer lol

#46 ·
If I ever set out to build my own springer... since I've never built one before... I think I'm going to start with Bitter End Old School Choppers' kit. All the parts are there. Just add tubes. Nice narrow kit too. Want less hardware? Done. All the harware? Done.

Anyone build one from their kit?

My 2 cents.

#47 ·
If I ever set out to build my own springer... since I've never built one before... I think I'm going to start with Bitter End Old School Choppers' kit. All the parts are there. Just add tubes. Nice narrow kit too. Want less hardware? Done. All the harware? Done.

Anyone build one from their kit?

My 2 cents.
I agree with you on that, I wouldnt try to tackle this with out some exper under ur belt, after all it is someone's life on the line.
The first one I build was one of there kits, and the parts are very good quility.

Ive since build a few more. Here is my last one from over the winter. I took a old springer and reused the legs. Made new trees and springer perch to my liking,had to shortin the legs, and with the combination of the trees being offset and the rockers I was able to get 4.5" trail on my frame which is -2 down and 42* in the neck.

same springer but with a differnt frt leg idea. I will be using this frt leg on the current springer I have in the works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.