Jockey Journal Forum banner

T-MAC Terror Shovel Build

22K views 147 replies 55 participants last post by  spent 
#1 ·
I'm finally working on my Shovel after a couple MAJOR road blocks on the way. I bought a running bike with a 73 FL frame and 80" Shovel and cow pie trans out of a 79 FXEF and rode it for a summer. It ran good but wasn't what I wanted.I was looking for a nimble around town machine so I thought I put the powertrain into a light bike. So... I bought a new Maximum Metalworks rigid frame,narrow glide,new sporty tank,21" wheel and a few other odds and ends. Work got REALLY busy so I thought I'd have guy I met on here thats 2hrs south of me do some fab work and get it a roller for me because I never had the time to touch it. It was good at first but progress came to a hault and the fab work was very poor and VERY unsafe. He dinged me $3500 for a few parts and shitty welding that I broke off with a rubber hammer and cresent wrench.Again work got busy and the bike sat all summer so I found another "builder" this time 2.5 hrs north of me to get things going...9 months and $3300,and every excuse in the book I picked the bike back up with nothing done too it other than some cheesy fender mounts that I broke off by hand and NO refund on my money. He says he messed up but he'll get my money back to me when he wants.... Anyways sorry for the sob story but I thought I'd get it off my chest due to both these "builders" being members on here.

I'm going to get this bike built if it kills me!!! haha

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The motor and trans were rebuilt a couple years and no miles before I bought the bike but it had been sitting and some leaks had formed. I thought I'd re gasket the motor and trans while it was out so I dug into into it....
Needed guides,seats,springs,valves,jugs,pistons,and a mainshaft in the trans. It was just like new....:mad: I had a local Harley guru named Zeke split the cases,fix the stripped timing plug that was JB welded,check the bottom end and resassemble the bottom end. He fitted it with forged pistons(9:1) new jugs and a J grind cam. My old man gave me a hand with the wore out heads. We put in new seats,guides,springs,Black Tulip valves and new keepers and retainers. Everything is new:D . Zeke freshened my trans with a new mainshaft,repaired the drain plug that had a rubber plug shoved in it and gaskets. Now I'm ready to roll on.
I'm taking my roller to Zeke's place Friday so we can set the motor and trans in and I can get a few pointers from him on alignment then its time for mounting the rear fender and oil tank.

Attachments

#9 ·
I broke them off by hand....including the rear master cylinder bracket:eek:
It just amazes me that they can do this and get away with it. They lied about so much is blew me away. I work hard for my money and they had no problem taking it for nothing. I was trusting but thats my downfall now

#11 ·
If you have the skills to narrow that tank you could definitely weld on that bike. Of course you should narrow that tank, if you don't like it you can always slap on another,
I have the skills along with a good buddy of mine but we both work in the oil & gas industry and spare time hard to come by. I'm going to do everything myself from now on even if it takes longer.

#13 ·
Sorry for your troubles man. It sucks when you have to farm shit out. Lotsa people talk a good game, but few actually play one. Proper welding is a Skill, not something everbody can do just because they bought a welder and read a thread.

Hope you can find the time to finish your scooter your way. Good Luck

Scotty

#19 ·
It takes a lot of practice and some natural ability to turn out quality work. It seems to work out a lot better if you learn by working on your own stuff or working on your friends stuff for free. But in all fairness, Im sure there are two sides to this story too. Good Luck on your build.

Regards,
Geo.

#21 ·
But in all fairness, Im sure there are two sides to this story too. Good Luck on your build.
Close to 7 g's for garbage work, with pictures as proof, and there's a second side of the story worth considering? Come on, man.

Lesson 1. Don't tell people what you do for work, because it sounds like you got gouged due to your ability to earn good money.

Lesson 2. Get to know your internet builders by digging into their old posts/threads. Whiners and BS artists are easy to sniff out...

#25 ·
I will in time Trent. The latest guy owes me $3300 and claims he is going to pay it all back.......I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a short time. I could really use the cash back for the build. My race car needs a bunch of parts over the winter so the bike comes second

#34 ·
What, "I wuz shitfaced"?

Seriously, the first 2 of those weld photos show faults that would be obvious to a first-week welding student. NOBODY claiming to be a fabricator should ever let something like that out of his shop.

Some asshat laid that, looked at it, and said "fuck it." End of discussion.

Doc

#36 · (Edited)
Just got home with my bike after a very productive Friday! Took the roller over to my buddy Zeke's shop to set the motor and trans in after the rebuild on both. Everything slid in nice and Zeke was a ton of help with getting the odds and ends taken care of that I would have missed. I still need to get a bunch of hardware and clutch parts but its getting ordered up next week. Zeke is a vintage Harley guru and specializes in Shovel and older.He's a VERY cool guy that lives and breathes vintage bikes.Currently he is in the middle of restoring a 35 Servicar.Here are some pics of my bike and Zeke's 35 Servicar,Knuck,38 Flathead chopper with Indian leaf springer and 79 FLH with side car. I didn't get any pics of his rigid Pan chopper that he rides 1000's of miles at a time.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.