Jockey Journal Forum banner

"Turtle Tanks"?

13K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  hatch 
#1 ·
Howdy! I'm curious to know what years were the turtle tanks offered on a sportster?

#4 ·
I'm not a sportster guy but don't the K-Model and early sportster tank look a lot different than the later large sportster tanks?
And which one is called the turtle tank? I always thought it was the earlier one.

#6 ·
The big tank (turtle) was standard on XLH models starting in '61. It was optional on XLCH and the reverse was also true, the small tank was optional on the XLH. The original version for '61-'62 used a very rare oval plastic emblem unique to that model. From '63-65 they used the same emblem as a Pan, and from '66 to the end used the '66 up Shovel emblem.
The K model tank (rounded design) was '52-'53 for the first design with strips fore and aft of the emblems, '54 -'56 for the second, with '54 having the standard script and '55-'56 having the "Victory" emblems. '57 Sportster tank looks the same from the outside but has a large recess underneath for the taller OHV engine.
Robbie

#16 ·
Turtle tank, under Harley parts. Or XLH Turtle Tank.

#18 ·
I got one in the swap section now. Its been on the bike for a very long time. Dont know much about other than its clean inside and out. But I am pulling all 3 tins for a hard tail, newer sporty tank and springer. I have a pic of my old 60's sport that had the turtle it came from the factory with and I will find, scan and post pic later. I really dig that bike of yours Hatch!!!! Makes me start to rethink my decision.

#19 ·
I got one in the swap section now. Its been on the bike for a very long time. Dont know much about other than its clean inside and out. But I am pulling all 3 tins for a hard tail, newer sporty tank and springer. I have a pic of my old 60's sport that had the turtle it came from the factory with and I will find, scan and post pic later. I really dig that bike of yours Hatch!!!! Makes me start to rethink my decision.
That's a Super Glide style tank, not a turtle tank.

#24 ·
Yep Like I said... "I have a pic of my old 60's sport that had the turtle it came from the factory with and I will find, scan and post pic later."

I know the diff between factory sporty turtles and a super glide nicknamed turtle tanks. Also was envious of Hatchs red tank, then I see he got the black one recently...damn! Now I kinda really dont like the guy. JK, if you havnt seen it yet go check it out.

#25 ·
Yep Like I said... "I have a pic of my old 60's sport that had the turtle it came from the factory with and I will find, scan and post pic later."

I know the diff between factory sporty turtles and a super glide nicknamed turtle tanks. Also was envious of Hatchs red tank, then I see he got the black one recently...damn! Now I kinda really dont like the guy. JK, if you havnt seen it yet go check it out.
....as long as you love the bike, it's ok by me!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.