Jockey Journal Forum banner

Vintage LSR Vincent

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  thefrenchowl 
#1 ·
I spotted this on an Irish forum and thought I'd post it here for the hell of it. The picture was taken in 1953 in Ireland. The photo shows Phillip Vincent, his wife, Dennis O'Neill (reserve rider) and Harry Lindsay. The Vincent is "Gunga Din" one of the more famous racing Vincents. Harry set an Irish speed record of 143 mph that day. I guess I have an interest in this photo as I've known Harry for more that 40 years.

By weslake at 2012-04-11

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
As I looked at the photo I was thinking Rollie Free went 150 in swimming trunks. Maybe if Harry had have dumped the leathers for trunks the drag reduction might have got him to 150.

Dean, Not "Gunga Din" but here's Neville Higgins blown Vincent "Jindivik" at I believe the sprint at Ramsey held during TT week.

#12 ·
Can't tell you much, but I saw that very bike a long time ago in a motorcycle parts trade stand at a Classic Bike Show in Stafford GB... Got some shots somewhere... When I saw that scultured tank, Whaooo!!! T'was obviously an LSR bike, no fenders or amenities of any sort...

Hoofhearted, thanks for posting this period shot... Until now I did not know if it was proper or "modern interpretation"!!! How the side car progressing these days???

Patrick

#13 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Hi Patrick. The sidecar is doing well. It will be out as 650 this year. 544cc to be exact. You coming over this year?

Its a shame they can't perfect alone. Over restoration is one of my pet peeves.

#16 ·
Hoofhearted: You coming over this year?
Wish I could... No for the moment. haven't finished all the mods yet to make the bike more "user friendly" if such a thing exists for a salt bike...

Lifted the heads last week, engine is more than OK... Thinking seriously about selling another bike to finance the next trip...

Patrick from -today at least- sunny Sandbach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.