Jockey Journal Forum banner

R.I.P Evel

24K views 145 replies 117 participants last post by  ElekVins 
#1 ·
#60 ·
As with many who were born in the late 60's, myself included, he was more than just some crazy ass, womanizing, live life to the fullest kind of a guy, he was our HERO !! and still remains an icon of the 70's and 80's. This guy wasn't afraid to do BALLS TO THE WALL CRAZY STUFF , while everyone else talked about death defying stunts, he was grabbing a handful of throttle and gettin' it done. Another of my long time hero's gone to that place we all can only hope for. "EVIL KNIEVEL LIVES IN OUR HEARTS FOREVER !!!

#71 ·
#63 ·
I just remembered being 12 years old and breaking my collarbone trying to copy Evel Knievel by jumping my brother's bike off a big steel slide at the local park. Made the jump, broke the handlebars and smacked into a maple tree. Spent the rest of that summer in a shoulder brace.

But I made that jump.

R.I.P. Evel

#65 ·
EK was a real SOB & an American original... at one event a Hell's Angel threw a crowbar at him, stepped out of the crowd and right in the way of Evel's runway. No prob, Evel just low sided the bike right into the dude. Of course more HA's come to the defense of their buddy but the crowd backed the daredevil & really messed those folks up.

some great pictures...
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1689856_1495885,00.html

infamous...

#69 ·
"Thanks EK, you inspired me and a million other toughskin-wearing jackass kids to put an old door on a tipped-over trash can and go for it. "

+100

If that ain't the truth Bill...How many of us are wearing scares on our bodys from trying to be "EVEL"...

You have been loved and will be missed by many...the ruler is gone..

#70 ·
"Evil Knievel" it's funny how he did not like to be refered to as a "Hero" he said that our countries servicemen and women are the true heros and he was right but he was a Living Legend for all of us who were young and impressionable and lucky enough to grow up in the 60's & 70's. The fact that he preached to his young fans to stay in school and away from drugs while wearing a star spangled suit then hopping on the bike and risking his life for our entertainment made him a household name.

Mr.Knievel is as much of an "Icon" as Elvis or Marilyn Monroe IMHO.
Thanks Mr.Knievel for being who you were,my childhood would have been boring had it not been for you. My buddies and I wore out several jump ramps,I broke many bicycles.

Evil Knievel you were and still are the epidemy of "Cool".

All of these so called jump dare devils of today that take credit for breaking his records on light weight high dollar dirt bikes are nothing to me unless they can grow the nads to get on an old ironhead Harley with about 5 in of travel to break any record !

I cant imagine what Evil would have accomplished if he was in his prime this day and age with the equipment avalible.

I raise my glass to toast Evil Knievel "A true American Icon"

We will never forget you!

Sorry for going on and on.

-Eric

#75 ·
Dragon, please get some pics of that bike. Seems like all the decent shots I find are the sportster stuff. I'd love some detailed pics of a Triumph he actually jumped and how much it was modified, etc.

Motorcycho, let's see that new ink. I've got an EK one I've been thinking of lately and I'd sure like to see what you did first.

#78 ·
His paddle didn't always reach the water but he was brave and fearless. RIP

#80 ·
Grew up in the late 60s nd 70s watching evil on wide world of sports,always showing him as the feature event.The next day every kid on the block was outside jumping something with there bicycles untill we broke,not the bikes.He was larger than life and ment more to any 7 year old than any other celeb of the era.Later in life you herd the stories of antics on the road and run ins in general,never lost that godlike status because he was the first and all other could just claim as followers.learned what he rode,xr750s,the backwards throttle to aid on landings,The man was just way cool.He walked his talk and beat his own drum.He had a good time doing it and threw a bunch of women in while he was at it.Still he spoke of rite and wrong to all the 7yr olds that still watched him and listen to what he still had to say........God speed evil....It was a good run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.