Jockey Journal Forum banner

Evo Sportster Kickstart

55K views 134 replies 60 participants last post by  Desert 
#1 ·
I just saw this on a blog somewhere and it's a video. I know someone here will find this as interesting as I did.

http://www.ledsledcustoms.com/vblog.asp

This and a magneto and your all set. :D

#2 ·
They're gonna make a small fortune selling those things, as long as it's not more expensive than your average used 883 that is...

I'll be watching them, I'd love to get one of those.
I almost didn't look at this thread assuming it was another, "does anyone make a kicker for an evo sporty?" Glad I was wrong!

#3 ·
They're gonna make a small fortune selling those things, as long as it's not more expensive than your average used 883 that is...

I'll be watching them, I'd love to get one of those.
I almost didn't look at this thread assuming it was another, "does anyone make a kicker for an evo sporty?" Glad I was wrong!
No doubt!

Judging by the prices of the other products on their site, it shouldn't be too bad(gulp).

I have to say for the first time in a long time, I'm excited about the prospect of this part(s). It says "bolt on, no machining" so I'm really curious to see how it works.

If there's anyone from the company on the JJ, please chime in on this product.

#5 ·
Hmm. Looks cool. But so did the sporty open primary kits that sold for $2500. Not by led sled but another company during the height of the fat ass end recent discovery channel fueled chopper movement.

#12 ·
Or you ditch the starter, buy a magneto and a capacitor and ditch the battery. The simple set up guys love to run on a BT in an even lighter and more efficient (and cheaper!) unit motor. Sounds like a hot rodders prerogative to me.

Just had a thought... How about a magneto fired, kick only buell xb motor in a rigid? Anyone else just get a woody thinking about that!?

#23 ·
Or you ditch the starter, buy a magneto and a capacitor and ditch the battery. The simple set up guys love to run on a BT in an even lighter and more efficient (and cheaper!) unit motor. Sounds like a hot rodders prerogative to me.

Just had a thought... How about a magneto fired, kick only buell xb motor in a rigid? Anyone else just get a woody thinking about that!?
I like the way you think. I've been dreaming of the same thing for a few years now.

This might help to bring the Sportster back to it's rightful place in the world. A stripped down, lightweight, all business bike without the heavy electric start setup that has one of the most hotrodable engines in HD history.

#14 ·
I saw this a few days ago .

If it's solid , works as advertised and is under a grand it will sell like hotcakes until the other guys rip it off & start making crap copies .

I've passed the link onto several of my Evo Sportster customers and we are all watching this one with great interest . It's a product that has been missing from the market for the 25 years the Evo Sporty has been around . Good on Ledsled for coming up with a solution to the problem .

#17 ·
After more thinking about it, there isn't a disclaimer that the kick start is starting the bike. I know in the custom rodding world there are electronic windows that the accuator isn't a button, bit you push the lever down to make the window go down. So maybe the kick start is an electronic accuator that starts the bike by the kick start swing action rather than an actual kick start?

Never said i hated it so don't appreciate the misquote badmonkey.

#19 ·
So maybe the kick start is an electronic accuator that starts the bike by the kick start swing action rather than an actual kick start?
I doubt that very much, after i read this i watched the video again, and he ratchets the kicker a few times til he gets to the comp stroke.

Seriously, I'm getting pretty excited about this thing, if it's megabucks im gonna a little upset.

#20 ·
Well I hope it works better than the factory original Ironhead kicker system, otherwise it's welcome to the world of hyperextended knees and crutches when the ratchet slips, as they all do once in a while.

Hard to see how they have engineeredthis new one though. Strange lump welded on the sprocket cover looks like it lines up with the mainshaft - but not sure how you could spin the engine over by the main shaft without the bike lurching forward as the sprocket turned. Sprag clutch would not work, as to orient it the right way for starting would be the wrong way for riding forward.

Be watching this one with interest.

#30 ·
Someone thought that the kickstart kit will have longer mainshaft. 5th gear has a hole so the mainshaft can come through. Just speculation.

Electric start is good when the battery has power but when not then kickstart and magneto is good.

#35 · (Edited)
jump that fuckin' starter solenoid on the fender didn't you?

Yep. 1970 Mach 1, muffugga!

Just fucking with you, but I'm with Hatch on this one. Seems like adding kickers, magnetos, etc. on a reliable modern bike is a bit backwards. If you want ye olde skool cred, get an old bike & learn it, warts and all.

Yeah, if the battery dies and all that, but that just means you have a charging system or battery problem to begin with, so keep your stuff in good shape & you won't have to worry about it. :D

This thing will likely be expensive, given what I'd guess to be a limited market.

#38 ·
Less wiring, less battery weight. That's an advantage to me. A mag. may a step backwards in technology but simpler to fix. Not much "magic" going on like with electronics. As long as you don't wipe out on the side of a Mexican highway with a Luchadore mask on the mags seem to be pretty ok. Oh! That stings, huh?:D

#41 ·
Whoops. Yeah. But wait, it was because of my reliable modern electric starter gear chipping off and taking a taking a tumble through my stator which in turn fried my entire lighting system too. And 5 days of bump starts did suck, especially on those dirt roads they call highways. I did come home and convert to kick only remember. Would have never happened if if was kick only from the beginning. And Bob's electronic ignition failed too and left him riding the truck for a bit. Meanwhile you dropped your bike-on the mag cap- and it did still run, even with the smashed cap. If you would have taken more time to tape it up you could have limped it home.

#43 ·
...And it was my shifter that broke that caused that stop too.

But if my bike was a kicker the shifter wouldn't have broken. It pulled apart from my push starting it and jamming it into 2nd so hard so I could dump the clutch before it slowed down too much to start.

So my not having a kicker caused your mag cap to break! Damn electric starters going bad spreads like a disease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.