Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Makes Strong, Well Built, Rigid Frames?

16K views 92 replies 51 participants last post by  Dr. Jett 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new rigid frame. I've had a few and I wanted some other opinions. I want a stock rake, preferablely a 4- speed.
I've had a Paughco and there cheap with poor welds.
I have a Kraft Tech and I think it's a rally good frame. It's tig welded beautifully but The fitment wasn't perfect and I want a straight backbone for a Frisco style gas tank. Thanks for any suggestions.

#42 ·
Hey nice meeting you at the S.O., My opinion is that you cant go wrong with an oem or repop wishbone , another alternative is oem swingarm hardtailed by fab kevin using the forged axle plates that way you get all the benefits of quality and coolness wrapped around an hd title.

#46 ·
Hey nice meeting you at the S.O., My opinion is that you cant go wrong with an oem or repop wishbone , another alternative is oem swingarm hardtailed by fab kevin using the forged axle plates that way you get all the benefits of quality and coolness wrapped around an hd title.
Hey Capino, it was good meeting you, hope you had a good time at the SOE.
I do love Kevin's oem style axle plates, I meet him at the SOE and his parts are unbeliveveable in person, works of art.
I'm thinking of buying a set of those axle plates from Kevin and maybe George can build me a frame with them.
If he's into it I'll be stoked!

#52 ·
I saw the Spartan Frames up close at the Biltwell Bash. I made my living as a welder for a government contractor. I can tell you that the fitment, quality, craftsmanship, and welding of the Spartan Frames is unsurpassed. And he uses the same chrome moly tubing used on a Baja 1000 Trophy truck!

#59 · (Edited)
There has been a few (which is more than enough) threads on the club chopper forums regarding WCC frames cracking or having shitty welds.
Every Indian Larry bike started off with a Paughco, you cannot be afraid to use them as just a starting point.
That's not entirely accurate. He used quite a few frames from a company called Diamond Chassis Machine out of Riverside, CA.

-Chris

#58 ·
I've run Paughco's on my builds, and they are perfectly fine, strong, and economical. They are even better when you take the time to clean the MIG weld splatter off, clean welds smooth, and "adjust" them to your specs. Every Indian Larry bike started off with a Paughco, you cannot be afraid to use them as just a starting point.

If you order a 30* neck, 0-up, 0-out for a SHOVELHEAD, you will get a perfectly flat backbone. If you buy the Jireh Cycles $700 version of that frame, you get a longer seat post for an EVO engine that will give it a kink in the back, but I have always hid that with a Frisco tank, nobody ever noticed. I have run both the chopper necks and the HD necks, the HD neck looks very much like a OEM panhead rigid frame in front, but wont allow you to do any crazy +2 up type mods that look so mean on a city-raked bike.

For the most beautiful chopper frame on the planet, George at Spartan makes the most awsome, strong, lightweight frame ever built this side of a Works CR450R. I will most likely be putting my Knuck engine in a Spartan, as it deserves a frame of that caliber.

My $.02

#63 · (Edited)
This is the type of shit that leaves the Paughco factory.

Now if you don't know what your looking at, the downtubes are totally crooked. Because the engine mount's bolt to the downtubes new ones had to be made to use this frame.

Paughco likes to use the ol heat and hammer trick a lot which can be seen in the pictures above.

Keep in mind that whats listed above isn't even half of the issues this frame has. Its plagued with nasty welds and tons of weld spatter amung other things.

-Chris

#72 ·
This is the type of shit that leaves the Paughco factory.

aughco likes to use the ol heat and hammer trick a lot which can be seen in the pictures above.

Keep in mind that whats listed above isn't even half of the issues this frame has. Its plagued with nasty welds and tons of weld spatter amung other things.

-Chris
That is not a Paughco frame. I have used a bunch of those frames and they are an excellent choice for a guy on a budget. Solid welds and nice fitment always from Paughco.

#64 ·
Well, I am not going to get into a what did Indian Larry use 100% of the time debate, if I misworded my original post, then oh well.

Indian Larry used Paughco frames ALOT, and if you ever listen to his interview on Biker Buildoff when he built two bikes, he says that, on camera.

Next, the horrific smashed downtube crooked ugly ass frame. One question:

Why is the frame painted with gobs of crappy black paint?

Paughco never delivers a frame painted, period.

Thus, some yahoo hillrod smashed down the frame to fit some idiotic part, or it was dropped and dragged on pavement or some shit, and then someone PAINTED it (poorly).

If a frame was that bad directly from Paughco, who in the hell would actually paint it? It would be returned ASAP.

Whatever, this is why I left the JJ years ago, dumb ass shit.

Buy whatever frame you want guys, I highly suggest a KraftTech frame, 1-1/8 tube, 40* rake, 4 out, 4 up, to fit a 250 tire. Just like a ClubChopper Journal biker.

#65 · (Edited)
Well, I am not going to get into a what did Indian Larry use 100% of the time debate, if I misworded my original post, then oh well.

Indian Larry used Paughco frames ALOT, and if you ever listen to his interview on Biker Buildoff when he built two bikes, he says that, on camera.

Next, the horrific smashed downtube crooked ugly ass frame. One question:

Why is the frame painted with gobs of crappy black paint?

Paughco never delivers a frame painted, period.

Thus, some yahoo hillrod smashed down the frame to fit some idiotic part, or it was dropped and dragged on pavement or some shit, and then someone PAINTED it (poorly).

If a frame was that bad directly from Paughco, who in the hell would actually paint it? It would be returned ASAP.

Whatever, this is why I left the JJ years ago, dumb ass shit.

Buy whatever frame you want guys, I highly suggest a KraftTech frame, 1-1/8 tube, 40* rake, 4 out, 4 up, to fit a 250 tire. Just like a ClubChopper Journal biker.
I don't remember saying the frame was brand new. The frame is far from new but definitely all stock.

I guess your eyes are as bad as your ability to read because there are no gobs of paint present.

What Paughco did with the heat and hammer is very common on they're Sportster frames. I don't know if it still happens but it used to a lot.

If this "dumb ass shit" is bothering you that much maybe you should leave again.

-Chris

This thread has a lot of info. Check out post #29

#67 · (Edited)
- He posted wrong information (regarding Larry's frames)

- I called him on it (trying to be civil)

- I contributed info to this thread (pictures posted above as well as MY opinion)

- He then goes on to shit on my frame and then gets bent out of shape because my opinion wasn't the same as his

And somehow I'm the one who's out of line. Some of you guys crack me up.

-Chris

#70 ·
Why dont you get the fuck out with your clown boots and racist bullshit...Oi
Haha, White Nightmare I guess your signature and avitar have pigeon holed you. I agree with White Nightmare though, he was being civil. Oh well I guess you can't get away from the internet tough guys on any forum. I wish I had something to contribute on the actual thread topic, but I am on my first bike build and it's a BSA. Good info for me though, for when I can afford a harley motor. Haha...Oi!

#73 ·
I have a Santee rigid I purchased in '01 that has been on the road four 4 years. The fit is excellent and it is holding up quite well. I don't get to put as many miles on it as I used too but I'm really happy with it.

#74 ·
Osprey,
Check out Acme Choppers. I'm running one of their frames on my xs and they made exactly what I wanted ( single downtube , looptail). everything fit perfect, beautiful, quality tig welded frame.
John

I also had an 03 santee rigid sporty frame that they modified for me, thats held up for years now.

#76 ·
I'm not gonna try to identify white nightmare's frame but it seems that any unidentifiable frame is always a Paughco. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. But either way this is gonna turn into an opinion arguement so I hope everyone is prepare for that. As for white nightmare's feeling being hurt here, dude, you posted pix of your frame so be prepared for any opinions you here. Get the thick skin on. We all have to hear it once in a while.

Now I just repaired a WCC frame with a cracked backbone so I can believe that statement.

George at Spartan makes real nice shit, No question to that.

And to throw it out there I can make a damn nice frame too.

Now let's lay off the clown boots, ok. I'm wearing mine right now...oi!

#80 ·
I'm not gonna try to identify white nightmare's frame but it seems that any unidentifiable frame is always a Paughco. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. But either way this is gonna turn into an opinion arguement so I hope everyone is prepare for that. As for white nightmare's feeling being hurt here, dude, you posted pix of your frame so be prepared for any opinions you here. Get the thick skin on. We all have to hear it once in a while.

Now I just repaired a WCC frame with a cracked backbone so I can believe that statement.

George at Spartan makes real nice shit, No question to that.

And to throw it out there I can make a damn nice frame too.

Now let's lay off the clown boots, ok. I'm wearing mine right now...oi!
My friend Boon broke his WCC backbone, I was shocked. He rides that fucker off curbs and other shit.
Mike it might be the same bike, small world!

#78 ·
Let's be nice boys, I don't want this thread getting shut down.
I appreciate all the knowledge I get from here. You guys know your shit, it's humbling at times.
Larry did use Paughco frams, he would beef up the rear section by cross welding extra tubes just like Paul Cox does.
I do love the look of the Paughco, I bought it from them not Jireh.
I expected more for what I paid. I have some experience in fabrication.
I went too school for 5 years for pipefitting and welding and have been in the business for 15 years.
I know some of the best welders in New Jersey.
My friend Jitterbug builds his own drag racers from scratch.
I do love Krafttech frames, have one on my shovel, great welds good quality.
I will fix the Paughco frame and it will be fine, I also want a 4-speed and a little different look.
I'm also jonesing to build something new.
I have contacted George and Fab Kevin too maybe hardtail my frame or I might just buy the kit from him.
I don't have the best hand with a tig welder, I just bought my first one and I'm kinda a novice. I'm not confident enough to do my own frame yet.
Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.