Jockey Journal Forum banner

45 motor in a trw frame?

10K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  tombat 
#1 ·
Can this be done or has anyone seen this done before.Have a 45 motor and a 4sp triumph tranny just no frame.Thanks

#3 ·
I put a 45 motor and a preunit Triumph trans in a BSA A10 frame about 10 years ago. It was a tight fit. There's a book about 45 choppers in Europe (don't remember the name of the book) but most of them are some type of bitsa using the 45 motor and an english frame.
Hank

#6 ·
Over the years I've seen people squeeze 45's into pretty much anything from all nature of British frames to Jap , German and Russian .

But , I've seen a 45 a mate used to own and that was in a rigid 500 pre unit Triumph frame with most of the stock parts attached including transmission . A classic case of his Triumph motor died , he couldn;t afford the parts to repair it and the 45 was drafted into play . Supposedly a simple affair to do and it was claimed that two blokes did the conversion over a long weekend . Looked rough engineering wise but it worked well .

#12 ·
I saw this a few years back at the Mass BIA show. Pics and info from:
http://www.massbia.com/bikes/paulduncan.htm

• 1945 Harley-Davidson 45" flathead stroker
  • 53" with Indian Chief flywheels
  • Harley Davidson Model K cams "modified"
  • Combustion chambers are copies of Francis Clifford's WLDR's for racing with Black Diamond valves and 38 Mikuni carburetors, etc.
  • 1950's Triumph Speed Twin frame with rear spring hub suspension and four speed transmission
  • Belt drive primary with Triumph alternator

#13 ·
I don't know much about the TRW frames, but I believe they are slightly smaller and there is less clearance in the head area than say a speedtwin frame. I spoke with a guy at a swapmeet this year who had a t110 engine in a trw frame, and said it was a tight squeeze clearing the rocker boxes.

#14 ·
[/QUOTE]
"I don't know much about the TRW frames, but I believe they are slightly smaller and there is less clearance in the head area than say a speedtwin frame. I spoke with a guy at a swapmeet this year who had a t110 engine in a trw frame, and said it was a tight squeeze clearing the rocker boxes. "

TRW and TR5 rigid frames are a "keystone" type where the front motor mount replaces the lower section of the front down tube and yes, they are tighter but you can stuff a 650 triumph engine in them, I have seen many photos of examples but not fortunate enough to see one up close in person yet. I have one each of TRW and a rigid TR5 frames but I have not attempted to stuff a 650 in either myself yet. I assume if you don't mind the possibility of cutting you could stuff a 45" in a TRW frame..... by the way, the one above looks like fun! Anyone know if it's still around?
Tombat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.