Jockey Journal Forum banner

Sportster: True dual exhaust *FAB*

27K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  xllance 
#1 · (Edited)
Sportster: Dual exhaust *FAB*

Well, Ive only seen one other sportster with dual exhaust, but it wasnt a TRUE dual exhaust. Maybe theyre everywhere, but I havent seen them.
Anyways, I wanted to see what it would look like so I spent two nights after work fabbing up this crossover pipe. I put a U shaped dip in the pipe to get it, and the heat, away from my belt. I also made the pipe come out the other side as close to the case as possible to make it appear it came from under the bike (?) It looked better than just having it pop out in the middle of the space.

I used the rear muffler support bracket mount on the frame to mount the pipe. I welded a support arm to the pipe for the right pipe. The left pipe was so solid, I didnt fab in a support for that, but I will later just for piece of mind that the muffler wont go flying off one day! :)

So, the only thing I noticed was that there is limited room for my boot when grabbing for the kickstand when its up.

I also noticed that it was nice to have the noisy pipes split equally to each ear, rather than just ringing my right ear. This will be way cooler on long trips. Another cool thing is that cars will "hear" me qually, no matter what lane Im in.

So all in all it was a cool little project, didnt cost me anything, and I did it in a way that I can easily go back to the original set up in 15 minutes. :)
Let me know what you think!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
oh snap....

"A true dual exhaust system has two complete sets of pipes, catalytic converters, mufflers and tailpipes running from the engine."

OK...how is this "true dual" thing here different from the dual exhaust most twins run?
I was wondering the same thing... I can respect the work effort, and the diversity, but damn, looks like a lot of work just to have an exhaust tip on the other side. and from a distant side shot, it looks like it's still running factory exhaust, till you look at the other side...

-A.

#8 ·
Well, heres what I mean by true dual, and how I use the term. Almost every V twin has true dual exhaust unless theyre running a 2 into 1 system. However, most harleys run both pipes on the right side. Only a few run a pipe on each side. These are termed as "true dual" by websites, catalogs and dealers. Some systems offer the look, but the left pipe is a dumby pipe or theres a crossover pipe from one of the right pipes, creating 3 pipes.

So this system has no dumby pipes, no branch off from a right side pipe and has a pipe on each side of the bike. I hear this system to be called a true dual. And, other than the XLCR in '77, sportsters dont offer a true dual, or "a pipe on each side".

#12 ·
deeds, why cover up all of the work youve done? f' that, it looks clean, and is getting the job done like YOU want. it'll be intersting to see what outher mods you do to it.

#17 ·
If it works for you, then thats all that matters. I "think" the term true dual exhaust mostly refers to the catalogs selling the pipes that have a pipe on each side of the bike , where the carb side pipe comes off the front jug and exits on the carb side, and the primary side pipe comes off the rear jug and exits on the primary side.

Then the cross-over exhuast is the stock type where there is a pipe on each side of the bike, but there is a pipe that dumps the front exhuast into the rear exhaust then crosses over to the primary side for a pipe on each side but yet they are not "true duals" because they are actually conected.

Sixball

#18 ·
true dual means no connection from bank to bank...no crossover, no x-pipe, no connection between the pipes at all other than the vehicle itself.

as for that look, woulda been easier to just ride a trump. don't worry, when I see a brit with two pipes on the same side I think "just ride a Harley."

#20 ·
Fatboy: Thanks for the kind words!
Sixball: I believe youre right in those descriptions, thats how I would discribe it as well.
Ska: Your description of true dual hits it on the head. As far as giving up my harley for a trumpet just so I could have symmetrical exhaust.... I think Ill stick with my set up instead! haha! :) I love brit bikes, but I wont ride one just so I can enjoy how it was built stock. I customize stuff too much and Id probably put both exhaust on one side like a harley just to mess with it, haha! :)

#21 ·
Looks like the front pipe is way longer than the rear, you might want to fab a small equilizer tube somewhere to join the two pipes together like the factory does on today's bikes. You could put it just before the mufflers maybe. I guess if it's running smooth it's ok, just that it has always seemed to me that you need pretty close to equal length pipes or 2 into 1. Looks cool though, good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.