Jockey Journal Forum banner

Pan top end on a shovelhead bottom end questions.

26K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  biscuitshovel 
#1 ·
hello!
I lucked out and found a complete panhead top end to put on my '81 FXS. I know it's been done before, and I'd appreciate any help any of you people could give me here. I've got the jugs, (74 in. .020 over, with new fitted pistons and rings) new wrist pin bushings, fresh heads, S&S Pan manifold, S&S Super E, and the split oil line adapter it takes to get the oil up to both cylinders.
I know I'll need pan exhaust, and I think I'll need to get push rods and tubes because the shovel push rods and tubes are too long, someone said??
ANY input on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Electric Eric

#4 ·
I was doing this, I gave the project to one of my buddys, old bikers without bikes sucks, so he is finnishing it, you will need to find 74 wheels to work with the pistons, or use 80 pistons and boar the juggs out, has been done, but find the 74 flywheels, you allready know the reast....Roach.

#5 ·
Easy as pie! The pistons will need to be changed to stroker pistons ( for 4-1/4" stroke) for a 74. Easier than changing a crank, just match the weight to your old ones to keep the balance the same. The pushrod covers are fine, you only need the short top clips. You will need Panhead pushrods, the ball ends are different sizes.
Robbie

#7 ·
I belive you will find the rear head will hit the seat post slightly. not nearly as much as a pan or shovel in a knuckle frame. little heat and a sturdy wack with the hammer will make life easyer. I will have to say though I don't know why you woulkd do so? I love a pan but without the kidney case well they don't look right. I say keep the shovel as is and build a panhead! yea swett wishbone tin primary magneto yea thats it. ohh sorry

#9 ·
The oil drains back through the barrels to the lower part of the piston on 54 and later pans same as shovels. And the 70-84 cam will work just fine, yeah, you need the shorter clips, and shorten the top tubes a little....Roach.

#10 ·
I cheated and went with STD heads. I use original panhead rockers, shovel pushrods and shovel pushrod covers.

I use a shovel o-ring intake manifold. And the outside oilers from Vulcan engineering.

I thought the upside to using the STD heads would be to have a 3 bolt exhaust vs the 1 bolt on shovels, or the clamp type on pans, so I went that route, but engineering wise, I cheated........

Sixball

G
#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
#13 ·
Yes, shovel cylinders with the STD heads, as well as shovel valves guides springs etc...

Basically when using the STD heads the bottom end of your shovel stays shovel, as well as the jugs, pistons, etc... Then like above, your top-end uses shovel internals, with the exception of the rockers, which use the stock panhead rockers.

Sixball

#24 ·
All this talk about using STD heads... but STD has closed up shop. They've been down for 3 or 4 months now. So far I haven't even heard any rumors about someone coming to their rescue. There are probably some STD heads still out there in the hands of people who sold their stuff. But who knows how long that supply will last.

-Craig

#35 ·
All this talk about using STD heads... but STD has closed up shop. They've been down for 3 or 4 months now. So far I haven't even heard any rumors about someone coming to their rescue. There are probably some STD heads still out there in the hands of people who sold their stuff. But who knows how long that supply will last.

-Craig
I've heard through the grapevine that Cometic now owns STD. Cometic is headquartered here in Ohio now.

Regards,
Geo.

G
#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.