Jockey Journal Forum banner

whitworth vs. metric

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Frosty 
#1 ·
in regards to wrenches/sockets.

school me like im an idiot. seriously. not that i am. but i need to prove an idiot wrong.

-Rob

#5 ·
EWWW! That's what I was afraid you were looking for. They're definitely different by comparison. But not sure of the actual measurements. Maybe someone can go home and measure both and whip up a chart with Excel or something. There just may be something out there already though. I'll take a look around and see what I can find on the web. I'll post whatever I can find, if anything.
caffeine said:

#6 ·
i just hate when people are useless on the internet...

i post on craigslist for tools..and get some guy who....rather than want to sell me tools.....basically tells me I'm a tool and i "need to learn what whitworths are and then when i do figure out that whitworth is just a thread and go out and get metric sockets/wrenches"....he even recommend i go to sears. what a clever fella. then i though......yeah well i guess im not that clever if i cant technically tell him the difference other than showing him a bunch of rounded off bolt heads.

"
DUDE......

WHITWORTH IS A THREAD TYPE.....JUST AS US USES FINE(SAE) OR COURSE(USS).....WRENCHES AND SOCKETS FOR BRITISH CARS WOULD BE METRICS......AVAILABLE ANYWHERE (YA KNOW.LIKE SEARS!)
"

#10 ·
caffeine said:
"
DUDE......

WHITWORTH IS A THREAD TYPE.....JUST AS US USES FINE(SAE) OR COURSE(USS).....WRENCHES AND SOCKETS FOR BRITISH CARS WOULD BE METRICS......AVAILABLE ANYWHERE (YA KNOW.LIKE SEARS!)
"
HEY!........i`VE SEEN THAT GUYS BIKE.........IT`S THE ONE WITH ALL THE ROUNDED OFF BOLT HEADS AND NUTS ALL OVER THE MOTHERFUCKER....WHAT A TOOL!

#11 ·
Hey,Around 69 Triumph went to Unified threads (normal US type).I've had good luck using a 19/32 for alot of Tri. bolts.When you grab the 7/16 whitworth wrench it sure doesn't seem right,The head on that sucker is around 3/4 inch.Took me a while to figure out the whitworth system of measurement.I bought a decent set of 12 point sockets on evilbay for $30.Good luck,Frosty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.