Jockey Journal Forum banner

Rivera Pro clutch diagnosis

50K views 81 replies 29 participants last post by  Dragon 
#1 · (Edited)
K...I have a 3 "belt drive on my shovel..If you've ever tried this setup w/ the stock or 5 finger clutch you know its difficult if not impossible to keep the clutch basket from "walking out" while the clutch is pulled in..So after living with it for a few seasons i decided to up grade the clutch..2 options I was considering were Rivera...and Barnett Scorpion..both made for Shovel/Pans..I heard from a friend the Pro Clutch worked great..but was a "little noisy". I bought it..it wasnt cheap ..like 550$ . Installed easily and works PERFECTLY..BUT..this clutch rattles like a MF.. You can hear it from miles away..I didn't think it would be an "issue"..my bike is fairly loud w/ the pipes, how loud could it be?..Well put it this way..if you took an empty spray paint can and attached it to the clutch w/ the ball bouncing around inside the can..thats pretty close..And its the kinda noise that hits you the wrong way..riding/ stopped/ engaged/ disengaged...noise!... when you pull into a parking lot or bar w/ other bikes in it everyone will turn and say WTF is that? Is there something wrong there? BUT as I said it works PERFECTLY..Just a heads up to someone considering this "upgrade".It bugs me so much I am considering swapping for the Barnett.

#69 ·
Re: Rivera Pro Clutch Part Duex

UPDATE ..John at Rivera tech help is not responding to my emails and has offered no usefull advice...nice company...They were sure friendly when taking my $550
Man, this sucks. Rivera has ALWAYS been great to me. Maybe you pissed someone off there! haha

#71 ·

I have been nothing but nice to the Rivera people..I don't go spouting off at the mouth unless seriously provoked! I spoke to him once ..he said email me the link..I emailed it ..nothing ..I remailed him...nothing nasty this exactly "have you had a chance to review my video yet"..If that pissed him off he's a nut..Then after no word i copy and pasted the same email ..maybe 3 more times. The last one I sent said "are you recieving my emails" Hardly harsh words..Today i get a responce asking me to forward it to someone else in the company..I did..We'll see. B

#72 ·

Got a reply today and as expected ...THIS CLUTCH IS ONE NOISY MF!...Heres the poop from Rivera...

Hi, From the video you sent, it sounds like normal noise that you getfrom an open belt drive. However, as the clutch p[lates start to wear, andthe gap between the edge of the friction and the clutch dog grows, the drivewill become noisier. Usually replacing the plates will help to quiet that abit.Thank you,Ben KudonDirector of Sales & MarketingRivera Primo Inc.
THIS CLUTCH SOUNDED EXACTLY LIKE THIS WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED IT..maybe a tad quieter.

#80 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Rivera Pro Clutch Part 2

this clutch is backwards though( so to speak )..the stocker has the notches on the steels..this has the notches in the frictions..so they aren't interchangable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update as of 12/5/07

O.K heres the original video link

Its fucking freezing/ snowing here in NJ and the Shovel is a bit cranky about starting so no follow up video yet.

Heres the deal: A cat named satanmechanic saw my youtube video and had the same issues w/ his Proclutch.. we corresponded back and forth a few times and he relpy's " I fixed it". All of the credit goes to him..not only did he help me out..HE MODIFIED SOME OF HIS OWN PARTS AND SHIPPED THEM TO ME FREE.

Its great to know there are still some real people left in this world and that good Karma comes back around!. I of course am gonna take care of him for his troubles and let his wife pick out something from my website.

Anyway heres the deal.
I am not "super wrench" (obviously) so bear with me on some of these terms.
The rivera clutch hub has splines..The first clutch steel to go in is .120" thick steel plate. It stops on the hub (due to a widening of the hub) before it touches the clutch basket. This space behind the first steel is responsible for the clutch pack never truely tightening up to the point where the plates stop rattling. Why its designed like this I don't know.

I measured the distance behind the first steel and the satanicmechanic modified a stock HD steel plate as well as an additional Rivera friction..The center hole needs to be opened up on a lathe in order for the plates to reach over the hub to the back of the basket. I will includes some pictures.

In my case one HD steel and one Rivera still allowed the noise to continue. He cut an additional HD steel sent it to me ..again free... and I reassembled the clutch as follows.The 2 modified HD steels first.Then the modified Rivera friction, then then what would normally be the first rivera steel(.120" ) and the rest of the clutch pack alternating friction /steel ...etc..

Started it up and....silence..just motor noise and some normal open primary noise while the lever is pulled in...NOW HERES THE DISCLAIMER!
We don't know what effect this will have in the long run..He's on the left coast and rides daily and reports no issues. He has a concern about the bearing failing prematurely but thats not definate and time will tell. I'd personnally rather replace the bearing if it should fail down the line to ride without that rattle can sound cutting into my otherwise enjoyable days out riding.

So I will post some follow up stuff to keep you all informed..but my riding season ends with temps in the 30's.. I know I'm a pussy to all you tuffguys on here..but its my choice and I'll be back riding in the early spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.