Jockey Journal Forum banner

'51 Triumph Thunderbird Pre-Unit

37K views 140 replies 42 participants last post by  Flo_28 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Here's my '51 T.Bird ...
I started a new project fews months ago.

Original !!!

Some Home Made Parts ...

Struts ...

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
It's been my experience most people start out keeping all the original parts with the plan of being able to "put it back".
Typically the bike is later sold as a custom, and then all the stock parts get sold off.
Another one bites the dust.

But, it is your bike.

#14 ·
It looks like it has the correct type of front end on your bike. I think what he saw was that the nacelle is missing and the rubber gaiters and Trophy style headlight ears/fork shrouds are there in place of the nacelle.

A 6T would have come with a nacelle, technically anyway. It looks like you probably do but are your handlebars attached to the top triple tree by two U-bolts ?

#17 ·
A 6T would have come with a nacelle, technically anyway. It looks like you probably do but are your handlebars attached to the top triple tree by two U-bolts ?
Ohhh OK, yep i've got the nacelle and the original handlebars. The last owner removed those parts and give it to me.
Yep, there're 2 U-bolts to the top of the forks.
That's really helpful because my top yoke has U-bolts and I thought they were modified from standard. Mine is supposed to be a nacelle type as well.

How many attachment points are there for the nacelle? On my top yoke I've just got squared-off corners to the stanchion (tube) locators with threaded holes in them (one each side).

My bottom yoke has two forward-facing angled mounting bosses that are offset to the left (if sitting on the bike). I'm not sure what they're for.

Thanks

Mike

:)

#15 ·
...mine is a 48 and came with that front end, and that 1" handlebar, but I think the 51 just have the nacelle unit...so may be re check the engine number or that front end is from a previous year
but Im not totally sure about it.

-yes, very difficult to locate one super nice old Trumph...

#19 ·
Those are nacelle triple trees then. Looks like you have everything you need, at least the major parts anyway.

murphit, I believe it's for mounting the horn on nacelles models. Not 100% though.

murphit said:
My bottom yoke has two forward-facing angled mounting bosses that are offset to the left (if sitting on the bike). I'm not sure what they're for.

#32 ·
Looks good ! Who made the fender ? Looks like a stock front Triumph fender.

Also, is that a 3.50x19 Avon on the rear ?
Mhhh I don't know who but i ordered it in England. This is not a NOS but almost. It is done with Triumph tools (don't know the name of this tool in English).

No, this is not a 3.50 but a 4.00x19. Yep Avon, that's right !!!

#36 ·
Looking good Swiss Side! Love the rear fender and stays, tidy work!

Hey Jon, long time! hope youre well! :)

Tony, the 3T is running with a different look at the moment but I've learnt not to throw anything away. She'll be back in her original tinware someday!

Bowtie .... keep looking! They are out there ... pre-unit rigids!

regards
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.