Jockey Journal Forum banner

37 knuck rolling

62K views 289 replies 105 participants last post by  chopaweeza 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got my 37 knuck rolling. Am imagining something skinny while still original feeling. Ive photoshopped the standard bars to around where Im thinking although l may make a straighter set. Also thinking about trying to thin down a 37 styled rear fender. Tank undecided and sketching ideas for pipes. i have a real nice 37 tank but might be too fat for this build.

I know its not much to look at right now, standard frame and standard wheels, but its a start. I wont be doing any drastic modifications to whats original but have no problem with spicing things up. Am hoping that a few good choices and some new fab parts might make it cool.

It's a clean slate. Let me have it...

My intro here

See less See more
#94 ·
Probably going to go with something like the second pic, not as short as three. Really would like to work into the shape of the original tail light shroud somewhere but there may not be enough room bobbed like pic 2. Will see. Making my new fork stem now and then I can get this thing rolling again, get the motor in, and work out all the rest of the stuff.

#103 · (Edited)
making a Big Twin Springer stem

Thanks for all the comments on the motor. My girlfriend's starting to get a little jealous of her ;)

Finally got to turning up a new fork stem. Here are the dimensions from Black13 if anyone has to make a Big Twin springer stem.

Thanks for those specs Black13!

One inch Big Twin stem:
- length 10"
- thread length from top to bottom is ~ 2.5"
- Bottom of threads to top of bearing race locator ring ~ 6 5\16"
- length of ring from top of it to bottom ! 0.214"
- splines from bottom of bearing ring to end of stem ~ 1"
- O.D. of stem {measured at middle} ~ 0.990"
- O.D. of bearing retaining ring is ~ 1.032"
- top external threads are 1x24"
- top internal threads are 3/4x14"
- bored hole through length of shaft at around 29/64" only needed if running steering damper. will extra clearance at top if running steering damper for spring. So I enlarged bore to about .60" to a depth of 2.5"

I didnt cut any splines on the bottom just a .0015 interference fit (which worked out to 1.0045") with the fork and a couple spot welds on the bottom. Made a little brass drift which fits inside to hammer on so as not to damage the top of the stem.

Now I can get back to putting this thing together, welding up my bars, finishing the seat mounts and getting that motor in.

Here's a pic of the repair with the old shortened modified stem which was also lacking the bearing race retainer.

#106 ·
Re: making a Big Twin Springer stem

Thanks for all the comments on the motor. My girlfriend's starting to get a little jealous of her ;)

It's builds like this that inspire me! Word of warning if your girlfriend ever asks how your love life is going don't respond not to hot I cant seem to get the exhaust right! Tried it, thank god it was my B-day or I would be on the couch.

Keep the pictures coming!

#109 ·
Finally rolling again.

Got my seat mounted a couple days ago. Made this front mount which goes into the seat tube and a hinge bracket for under the seat.

What do you think of running this tank? I think its off an old yamaha moped? I would probably need to taper in the rear a little bit but Im kinda liking it.

Am I crazy?

Next step getting the fender mounted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.