Jockey Journal Forum banner

Tires: my selections. Acceptable?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Knuck213 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright folks, here are the tires I've come up with. Got a 19 front and 16 back wheel. (Might move to an 18 or 19 back wheel someday, but that's what I already own)

Any advice on functionality, style, safety, or anything else?

Front:

Shinko SR241
http://www.amazon.com/Shinko-SR241-Front-Rear-Sport/dp/B001PS2QQC
http://www.jcwhitney.com/sr241-seri...p2031026.jcwx?skuId=540661&filterid=c51721j1#

Back:
Duro HF904
https://www.denniskirk.com/duro/rear-hf904-median-130-90s-16-blackwall-tire.p540781.prd/540781.sku

I wish I could find a better looking back tire, but I'd like a 4 or 5 inch tire on the back, and the widest SR241 in 16inch diameter is 3inches, I think.

See less See more
#3 ·
my personal opinion is that i really like matching front and rear tires a lot better
i have the duro 904 in 16 on the back amd 21 in the front
i like the way they look
i also like that front tire you picked out but i dont like the duro and that shinko together
again just my opinion i dont want to sound like im insulting you or anything

#5 ·
My personal preference in tires relates more to how I ride and what I am riding. On a bike I want to handle worth a flip I go for avons, generally venom/super venoms. If the bike is a heavier ride (more than 500lbs) I prefer the ME88 Metzlers (compromise on handling for wear, but not much of a compromise). I generally don't like the cheaper tires like Shinko, Cheng Shin, maxxis, etc. They eiher handle like crap, or wear uneven and fast.

If you are simply aimed at looks, pick the matching front for the back. In myy opinion, it will not only look better, but the matched front and rear will generally handle better too as opposed to two different brands front and rear. Again, these are simply my opinions.

#12 ·
My personal preference in tires relates more to how I ride and what I am riding. On a bike I want to handle worth a flip I go for avons, generally venom/super venoms. If the bike is a heavier ride (more than 500lbs) I prefer the ME88 Metzlers (compromise on handling for wear, but not much of a compromise). I generally don't like the cheaper tires like Shinko, Cheng Shin, maxxis, etc. They eiher handle like crap, or wear uneven and fast.

If you are simply aimed at looks, pick the matching front for the back. In myy opinion, it will not only look better, but the matched front and rear will generally handle better too as opposed to two different brands front and rear. Again, these are simply my opinions.
True, true and true. Nothing to add that that. Great post on tires skinthead.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I don't want to be driving something shitty-looking. I'm going to look around more for a closer match on the back tire.

I'd really like to find something that looks pretty similar to the shinko, I really like the way that shinko looks. Anyone got a recommendation for a flat-sided tire with mostly straight grooves?

#14 ·
Speedmasters have a nickname......"Slidemaster". I agree they look good, but I have read too many stories of guys having the front ends wash out on them to run them myself.

Avons, Metzlers, and Dunlop are the brands I play wih most, but I am not aiming for appearance. I ride every bike I have ever had like I was road racing, so form and function are bigger on my list than looks.

Now, with that being said, Avon has a dual sport tire, I think it is the distanza line, that is dual sport, look sharp, and should handle good too. I don't run the flat side tires on anything at all, and haven't since my first Triumph long bike. Since the bike handled like crap I knew I would never overcome the traction coefficient of the tire, so I never changed to anything else.

Look around on the bike tire sites, and there are a few, and find something in a modern tire that can offer SOME of the appearance aspects you like. Lots of things have changed in tires since the 60's flatside tires were made. Take advantage of modern tech and be able to run with the big dogs when you hit the road.......nobody wants to wait up, and nobody WANTS to wreck because they pushed the tires well beyond their limits. Wrecking HURTS! I speak from experience......

#20 ·
Any more info on the Avon MKII/Speedmaster combo? I've heard mixed reviews in regards to the Speedmasters ("Slidemasters") but am curious about Family Man's comment in regards to the MKII. I'm planning on running a wider (5.00") 16" rear and a thinner (3.00") 21" front. I like the old school look of the Avons; I primarily use my bike to cruise, not really hitting corners hard like the sport bike crowd...

#21 ·
I've put over 100K miles on my bike running the SM MK-II (16x5.00) on the rear and the Speedmaster 21x3.00 on the front. I've never had a problem. I ride twisty roads every weekend and commute on surface streets daily. We don't see much wet weather here. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Yes, they are not as sticky as a Venom or ME88.

-Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.