Jockey Journal Forum banner

T-MAC Terror Shovel Build

22K views 147 replies 55 participants last post by  spent 
#1 ·
I'm finally working on my Shovel after a couple MAJOR road blocks on the way. I bought a running bike with a 73 FL frame and 80" Shovel and cow pie trans out of a 79 FXEF and rode it for a summer. It ran good but wasn't what I wanted.I was looking for a nimble around town machine so I thought I put the powertrain into a light bike. So... I bought a new Maximum Metalworks rigid frame,narrow glide,new sporty tank,21" wheel and a few other odds and ends. Work got REALLY busy so I thought I'd have guy I met on here thats 2hrs south of me do some fab work and get it a roller for me because I never had the time to touch it. It was good at first but progress came to a hault and the fab work was very poor and VERY unsafe. He dinged me $3500 for a few parts and shitty welding that I broke off with a rubber hammer and cresent wrench.Again work got busy and the bike sat all summer so I found another "builder" this time 2.5 hrs north of me to get things going...9 months and $3300,and every excuse in the book I picked the bike back up with nothing done too it other than some cheesy fender mounts that I broke off by hand and NO refund on my money. He says he messed up but he'll get my money back to me when he wants.... Anyways sorry for the sob story but I thought I'd get it off my chest due to both these "builders" being members on here.

I'm going to get this bike built if it kills me!!! haha

Attachments

See less See more
#78 ·
a couple of buddies and some toys should fix that problem if you ask me. pretty sure he has som ecash stashed somewhere either that or he owes you a bike or project that he has lying around to compensate for your losses.

#94 ·
^^^^^I am in total agreement!!!^^^^^^^If you know where he works, you can find where he lives.....first try it "civil"..not sure how the legal process is up there, but it may be worth a try especially if you have a signed contract as you said. Then again, waiting for him at his front steps of his house as he comes home may get the point across a whole lot faster!

I have had my share of "being a nice guy" and have had people take my kindness for weakness. Tried to do it "civil"...it just got me to the point that I just wanted to forget it and move on...

Besides all that, the bike looks great...it is the same route i am taking with my shovel....little different tank though...

Good luck...keep us posted!

#79 · (Edited)
"NO SHAME" customs. Ironic choice of business names. .

I welded a simple piece of 3/8 round stock off the bottom frame rail. Put a rubber bumper on the end of it that would meet the kickstand .. The kickstand actually closed under the belt and i welded a small hook on the end so you could grab it with your foot to extend it. Total cost a few bucks but you could go the $350 route

Not sure if that will work for your application and pretty low tech ..just throwing it out there

Build is looking good man keep posting.

#82 ·
"NO SHAME" customs. Ironic choice of business names. .

I welded a simple piece of 3/8 round stock off the bottom frame rail. Put a rubber bumper on the end of it that would meet the kickstand .. The kickstand actually closed under the belt and i welded a small hook on the end so you could grab it with your foot to extend it. Total cost a few bucks but you could go the $350 route!

Not sure if that will work for your application and pretty low tech ..just throwing it out there

Build is looking good man keep posting.
Good idea I might give that a try!

#80 ·
i don't see what the other side of the story could be, as far as the builders in question explaining their work. the welds were terrible, not just terrible looking which is enough to be pissed about , but how friggin unsafe is that? they should not be marketing themselves as welders. they are skanks, f..k them!!! thats a lot of cash to steal from someone!

#81 ·
Ya I'm pretty pissed over the whole deal. It's bad enough he took my money and wasted my time but now I have to hunt him down to get my money back. He has every excuse in the book and I don't doubt he is having a rough go in life but I'm done giving a shit we all have shit times in our life's. Bottom line he owes me money and knows it.
Sorry for the rant but f$&ck I'm mad!!

#86 ·
tmac, I build my bikes low also, in fact if ya can roll over a pack of cigs on its side and not knock it over, its to high, lol. anyway, what i have found is if ya use a stock kick stand but put a wedge between it and the mount on the frame, ya get the lean ya need and the kick stand isnt draggin or up in the primary. I think Drag or someone sells these now, but I make my own.

#87 ·
If it makes ya feel any better, bought a Paugcho hard tail a coupla years ago for a hot rod project, ordered a 35 digree neck but wasent close to being right so took it to a old friend of mine to cut it off and strech it out to where it needed to be. so he calls me up to come look at it and when i get there he starts in on what a shit job they did on the frame.... neck was 1/4" out to the left, left rear top leg was 1/8" lower and 1/8" back from the right, etc....

#95 ·
Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been a busy summer so garage time has been slim. All the fab work and final welding is finished and I'm really happy with the out come. My buddy painted the tins with poison ivy green with gold flames with heavy flake. I'll post some pictures of the tins tonight I can't attach the pics from my iPhone. My dads buddy owns a powder coat shop and is going to coat the frame and misc parts for me next week. I'm having trouble deciding on colors for that though. This is what I'm thinking...let me know what you guys think

Frame,batt box,motor mount- gloss black

Primary plate,magneto cone,fork lowers,trees,rocker covers-gun metal grey

#97 ·
A few pictures for you guys

Attachments

#98 ·
I'm drilling some holes and fishing some mig wire through the frame to pull the wiring through later. Good idea?

Also other than black "zip Ties" what are you guys using to keep cables and wires from moving around too much? I don't like the look of the plastic ties but I'm not sure what else to use in a couple spots

#100 ·
Back when, I wired a bike like that, through the frame. Looked clean as hell but, when a wire shorted, burnt everything up. Rewired it in cloth heat sheild on the out side and have since.
On the zip ties, I don't remember now (this gettin old shit sucks) but, one of the jap bike makers used a crome clip that went around the frame and cables, I'd get them and use them to hold the wire lume. Now days, most of the production co's use a plastic holder that pops in a hole in the frame.
BTW, lookin good!

#106 ·
Cast alum? Factory HD peice? I have a FX brake side mid but tried to build the shift side but didn't like how it turned out. I was surfin EBay one night and found the aluminum ones. They are cut out of 6061 flat plate and are built really well so I hope the work good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.