Jockey Journal Forum banner

Triumph T120 Build

73K views 314 replies 88 participants last post by  Monstar 
#1 ·
I am in the process of building my first Bobber. It is a T120, and have alot to learn. Here is a pic of the bike.

I am just focusing on getting it rolling for now. I am bidding on a rear wheel, and im buying a springer and 21in front wheel as well. I have been looking for a speedometer drive for the rear, but I am not having any luck.

See less See more
#3 ·
Or just grab the matched set of indo repops on e-whatever. Shades had to get one for his 68 bonneville and with our dealer discount it still hurt like a son-of-a-gun. The problem with 68 and later bonnies is that the ratio is not a straight 2:1 like most of the speedo repops. (I learned that yesterday). Or don't run one; none of mine have one.

#5 ·
Well on my stock 68 I have the drive but removed both gauges and any cables because both gauges broke, I'm cheap and I couldn't stomach watching them break more and more when I was riding it. For my 67 I just didn't put it on but I'm thinking I'll get mike47 to build me a sweet cap for it when the time comes.

#9 ·
Well in order to get a title for it, I have to have a speedo. I will only have it on there for a short while, but the inspector has to see that it works. Any other advise you guys can give me while im building my Bobber? How do I tell what year my bike is? I can get the serial number tomorrow.

#10 ·
Ok, Im in a predicament. I don't know enough about a triumph motor to put one together myself, I'm doing a budget build, and I talked to Wes at 4 Aces cycle, and he told me that it will be anywhere from $3000-$4000 to completely rebuild the motor. Are the 650 and 750 motors hard to come by? Because I have been going back quite a ways in the For Sale section, and I am having no luck finding one. There is one on ebay right now, and he is wanting $1000 and it needs a top end forsure, and probably a complete rebuild. What advise can you guys give me?

#11 · (Edited)
Honestly, I think the best thing is to start with a complete running bike and modify it to suit your taste. Learn from working on it while you customize it. I would definitely buy Wes's DVD's both English 101 and Triumph rebuild DVD from Tyler at lowbrow no matter what. Maybe sell what you have now to get some scratch . Look on your local CL I see them go running for $1800-$5000 for a really nice one with a TITLE. Trust me it will be way cheaper in the long run. Either way it will nickle and dime the fuck out of ya.

#12 ·
^^^ What Luke said. Best to start with a runner and get to know these machines. Building a Trump chop from near scratch will not be a "budget" deal, trust me. One other option is to regulate it to a corner of your garage and budget your build out a couple of years.

#15 ·
Well a little update on the build. I purchased a motor locally that needs the head rebuilt. I got my 21" Spool Wheel, New Factory Metal Works Hardtail, Cali Choppers Oil Tank, DNA 20" Springer, Pan Seat, Seat Springs, Magneto, Risers, Bars, Factory Metal Works Footpegs, Rear Wheel, and the frame is all stripped down. I will get pictures of the parts, and how the build is going.

#16 ·
Here is the start of the build! I have the frame all stripped down, and all unnecessary brackets cut off. Got the Hard Tail on, Rear Wheel, Springer, and front wheel. I will be moving slowly on the project because I am gonna be going to college the 23rd of August. Sorry for the Crappy Cell phone pics, I will get better ones with my Camera. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

#21 ·
Its a DNA Springer. Im having a predicament on which bars to run. I have some drag bars on there now, and it looks ok but I think it needs a different set. I have tried apes, and Don't like the look of them either. Any suggestions, pictures of your guys' bobbers with your style of bars??

Thanks for the complements!
Elliot

#27 ·
Here are some updated pics. There a little better quality this time! I am waiting on the brake stay rod from Lucas at The Factory Metal works (who has been a huge help, and makes A+ parts), then Im going to fit brake rod, and get the Brake light switch mounted as well. Gonna pull the motor this next week and finish it so its ready for the head.

Tell me what you guys think......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.