: Rust Removal, What Vinegar to Use?

Trumped
05-08-2007, 12:59 AM
So, I thought that I would give the ol' vinegar a try at removing some rust. Is there any particular type of vinegar that works best? There are so many types...white, white wine, apple cider, and God knows what else. Can I put all metals in the vinegar. Will it harm any?

front st cycle
05-08-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm not experienced, but I think white & be careful with Aluminum...

Also I think it has been discussed heavily on the HAMB...search there...

haring
05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
cheap 'ol white vinegar -- it's mild acetic acid

yes, be careful with aluminum

I use vinegar all the time. I have a bucket in my backyard that always has something in it.

Dan
05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I think apple cider is what you want - the white stuff will flash rust pretty quick after taking the part out (can neutralize the part with a bath in baking soda) but I dont think the apple cider will flash rust ???
I've used regular white and it works pretty good, it will fuck up steel parts too if left too long -

besides, you use the apple cider vinegar to make good bbq sauce...

Chopperdave
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
what are you takin rust off of???

Richie
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Every time I hear about this I can't help but think working in a antique store for this bitter old jazz drummer who looked like Ernest Borgnine & would just sit in a wing backed chair eating nutty buddy's all day and fucking with customers.

Thsi old woman came in with a vase she bought that had a water stain on it & she says to the guy, "Don? Did you tell me to use vinegar on this water stain?"
"Yeah, " he grunts...all while eating his nutty buddy, "vinegar, a radish, maybe some chives....a little olive oil...'
She gets this confused look on her face and says, "OH! I didn't remember all those ingredients!"
"Yeah, mix it up just like Paul Newman."
He tells her.
At that point I couldn't hold it in anymore & had to go out back to die.
Surprisingly this guy is still in business.

I know, I know...this is of no help.

Dr. Benway
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Does it work better than Naval Jelly??

cheap 'ol white vinegar -- it's mild acetic acid

yes, be careful with aluminum

I use vinegar all the time. I have a bucket in my backyard that always has something in it.

haring
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Does it work better than Naval Jelly??

Hmmm, been a while since I've used Naval Jelly (which uses phosphoric acid).

I'm guessing the Jelly is stronger, and quicker, since the vinegar is an overnight (or days) process.

But I'm still using the same $1.00 vinegar from months ago, and I just toss parts in and let them sit in there ... no hurry.

There's a place for all chemicals. Give it a shot. I use a wall spackle bucket (free) for the parts. Yes, parts will flash rust, but it wipes right off.

Trumped
05-08-2007, 02:24 PM
The rusty fork you stuck into my heart, Davey. Or maybe a 70's primary chain belt.

what are you takin rust off of???

Chopperdave
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
ouch! sorry!

ahhhhh, that might work...

DougC
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Probably a dumb question but will this work on a set of chrome exhaust pipes. I got some new (Cheep) ones off ebay and they started to get rust spots all over them first itme I ran them. I tried the blue but it takes forever so I blew it off.

dfishman
05-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Use Gibbs Brand penetrating oil.It soaks into the pores of the metal & kills rust,then protects against it,& you can paint over it after wiping with denatured alcohol.But vinegar is cheaper.

Dan
05-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I've used it on chrome and it works

rockabillyjay
05-08-2007, 09:17 PM
..oxcalitic acid...go to lowes/home depot and buy some wood bleach for outside decks...mix it up in a tupperware tub...wear gloves..let it soak and bingo!

tampamatt
05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
if you had to I guess 20% indudtrial usuall available online for agricultural pourposes.....or you could make your own...nothing like a house reaking of vinegar for months of distillation...cuts down on unwanted guests..

Trumped
05-31-2007, 12:24 PM
O.K. so i did some experimenting with the vinegar idea and I was surprised by the results. My first dabble was a 70's primary chain belt with buckle that had a few badly rusted links. I figured that if a couple of days was good, a couple of weeks would be better. WRONG! Either this chain was rusted much worse than I thought or the vinegar attached the base metal and went to town. The results are disastrous. Belt ruined..potential fortune lost. Crap!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Trumped/chain.jpg

I decided to try again and just happened to find a badly rusted adjustable wrench in the trash. This thing was frozen solid. I dumped it in the bucket on Sat and pulled it out yesterday to check on it. Most of the rust had disappeared and the wrench adjusted easily. WOW! It worked. All I did was to give it a little rinse and scrub with a brush. Bitchen!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/Trumped/wrench.jpg

Nads
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
I think that Massengil vinegar shit's pretty good, it keeps skank ho puss pretty clean I guess, should work plenty good on forks, knives even, maybe.

Kinda spendy though, might gotta steal a few cases from CVS, fuck pharmacies anyway, they won't even sell you fifty bottles of cough syrup no more, evil bastards.

jahluv
05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Trumped - have you ever tried Rust Removal via Electrolysis? Kinda Mr. Wizard/high school science project stuff, but it works. The method is all over the internet, here's a quick link...

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Have used it to "unrust" parts on my MG project. Works well. Good luck.

Nads
05-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Trumped - have you ever tried Rust Removal via Electrolysis? Kinda Mr. Wizard/high school science project stuff, but it works. The method is all over the internet, here's a quick link...

My God, you have an MG, you poor bastard!

choppertown
05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
try this...works really well...aluminum foil..scruntch it up..spray any kind of lubricant (wd40) ...scrub and wipe. The foil is softer than the chrome so it doesn't rough it up in any way. great for saving rims.

DougC
05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
try this...works really well...aluminum foil..scruntch it up..spray any kind of lubricant (wd40) ...scrub and wipe. The foil is softer than the chrome so it doesn't rough it up in any way. great for saving rims.
If i do this on my pipes it wont scratch the chrome?

itusedtobeaboutchoppers
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
"Summers Eve" makes a nice one called "Wild Strawberries"...it works wonders!!:p ;)

101stAbnvet
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Hell, Aluminum foil????? Just use #0000 steel wool, that WILL NOT SCRATCH CHROME! Great for aluminum and stainless steel also.....

I sometimes spread some Mother's polish on the #0000 steelwool and THEN polish...Cat's ass my friend!

101stAbnvet

choppertown
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
compare them...give it a test...foil and steel wool....some swear it's even better than steel wool. Foil won't scratch chrome because it's softer.

Richard D
06-01-2007, 08:37 AM

That link didn't work, but here's one from the H.A.M.B. that does.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184264&showall=1

El Padrote
06-17-2007, 11:57 PM
After reading this thread I decided to experiment with the white vinegar. I had a couple old rusty seat springs. They were so rusted I couldn't get the nuts off with out breaking the springs. I put them in a plastic butter dish filled with cheap white vinegar. So I forgot about them for about a week. Today I walked around the corner and saw the butter dish with the lid popped off with a brown rusty foam spewing over the side. I fished the springs out of the toxic looking soup and cleaned them off with a shop rag. I was shocked at how well this worked! The nuts I couldn't budge before came right off with my fingers! These springs were completely down to bare metal. No elbow grease needed. I will definetly use this technique in the future. Another cool tip scored from the Jockey Journal! Thanks everyone.